Featured Roses and beads, what to do…..

Discussion in 'Art' started by Houseful, Jul 29, 2024.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Charity shop buy, frame size is 24 inches by 30 inches. The framers label dates from 1895-1957. Odd that it’s an oil on canvas and been put behind glass. I can’t make out the siggie at the moment, I’ll have to remove it from the frame and ask Aquitaine if she can do her wizardry. The roses look quite nice from a distance unlike the clumsily painted beads which imo spoil the whole painting. What do you think? I’m going to strip the white paint off, there’s gold underneath. When I bought it I thought it would make a nice mirror frame mainly because of the beads. What would you do? I’m an artist myself so I did think I might paint the beads out. I’m confident I could do that well but feel a bit uncomfortable altering someone else’s work. Thanks for any advice.

IMG_6290.jpeg IMG_6292.jpeg IMG_6289.jpeg IMG_6296.jpeg IMG_6291.jpeg IMG_6298.jpeg IMG_6297.jpeg IMG_6294.jpeg

kyratango, judy, stracci and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A nice still life. I agree about the beads.
    Maybe someone can date the vase, so you have an approx. starting date.
    Oh, good. It was once a beautiful frame, but it looks like it is covered in whipped cream.;) Would love to see the result.:)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A bit fancy but I think that would still be considered an egg and dart motif on the frame. Painting looks mid-ish 20th century. Company name dates it to 1895-1957 but telephone number research should narrow that (way) down.

Debora

Houseful likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quick internet search... I'm finding that 5-digit telephone number in use by company in 1934. Directional only.

Debora

kyratango, Houseful and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Web links that complex an' lengthy always put me off, Bosko...for a card-carrying Liberal, I'm situationally very conservative. No Blame...it's just too scary!

7. wlwhittier

Yes...an' the 'Rembrandt Edinburgh' telegraph address fits in there nicely!
    What does Directional only mean in this context, Debora?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I mean that, although the number was in use in 1934, it was sure to have been so earlier and later so we have to look at either side.

Debora

Houseful and wlwhittier like this.
  9. wlwhittier

Gotcha...Thanks!

Debora likes this.
  10. Houseful

Thank you Debora.

11. Houseful

Agree looks to me as if someone thought there was too much space that side and decided on putting in the beads. The reflections don’t seem to match the beads. There’s a painting in the link you gave that reminds me a bit of mine, by Anne D Tomlin? Have to get that siggie on mine ID.

12. Houseful

I will definitely show it here once it’s done. The gold underneath is likely to be a bit rough in places but will look better than the white paint.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Houseful

I think I can see an A D To….? Same style of brushwork there too, the painting was passed at auction.
    IMG_6303.jpeg
    IMG_6295.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind finding the originals of the beads in a charity shop somewhere, but the painted ones weren't done very well.

15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They really put the price sticker right on the painting :eek:

16. Houseful

It’s ok, it’s glass covering the canvas.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My local Ill Will has been known to kill a sale by putting a sticky sticker on old leather, old paper, or old paint. Ruined what was under the sticker and killed the value. Thankfully the painting survived.

verybrad likes this.
  18. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Think your right to try to strip paint off frame,anything better than the white,but a lot of work involved with all the varigations and beading,hopefully it will be worth it.Beleive you have found your artist Anne D Tomlin ,(signature is a match IMO)Scottish school,but not much information about artist or her work.Bit odd that there was glass over a canvas painting,which seem to be original from time of framing.

Houseful likes this.
  19. Houseful

The other painting I found that I think is the same artist (thanks @bosko69) has a decent looking frame too. Glad they haven’t painted that one white!
    IMG_6302.jpeg

verybrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She was a member of the Scottish Society of Women Artists. They had shows which is what the exhibition number may refer to. Active in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s. Widow of F.L. Tomlin, Managing Director of Adamson, Gilfillan & Company's Singapore branch.

Debora

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted