Rosenthal Banhof Selb Chippendale

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by losfruit, Jul 15, 2023.

1. losfruit

losfruit New Member

Hello there,

I am trying to find replacements for this coffee pot, tea pot and gravy boat I purchased at an auction. I have had no luck and was wondering if someone can help shed light where to find replacements for this series. Attached some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

When you look for replacements, maybe leave out the "Bahnhof Selb" bit.

Bahnhof Selb is the station of the Bavarian town of Selb.;) The Rosenthal company was founded in Selb.
    Maybe your set was once used in the first class restaurant of the station.

komokwa likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve rather a lot of Rosenthal, much marked Bahnhof Selb, it’s quite a common mark. I don’t think it denotes where it was used, but rather is a shorthand for geographical origin.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I probably don't understand the question, but you just purchased these and want to find replacements?

5. losfruit

losfruit New Member

Sorry if the question is not clear, but wanted to know if I can find matching tea cups, plates etc for this set. At the auction only these three items were available, so was wondering if I can complete the set by purchasing it elsewhere.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I meant to say that chippendale is the shape rather than the pattern name.

7. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

"Chippendale" is the mold/body name. Naming patterns was a matter most German producers simply did not do. They left this to importers/distributors, for various reasons (many of which are plain obvious). Hence there are often no "unique" names as the pattern name changed per target market (AUS/NZ/US/Canada, etc.). People only BELIEVE them to be "unique" as they are made believe so by sites like Replacments-dot-dumb and the FUBAR Google algorhythms.

Just as note on the side: this body type was originally created at the factory of Johann Haviland which was later taken over by Rosenthal. This increases the possibility of possible additions/replacements (even if they would of course include different base marks).

As for "Bahnhof Selb" I am deeply disturbed that people here do not know what that stands for. It is the name of the external secondary art department which was located next to the former Selb railroad station ("Bahnhof" = railroad station). It is NOT the same as the in-house art department which used the marks including the term "Kunstabteilung".

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I didn't know that.

Ownedbybear and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chris, I'm sorry you feel deeply disturbed.
    I'm sure your life feels more complete now that you know.:hilarious:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Ownedbybear likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

As always, Chris gives us the details we lack. I knew that Bahnhof means railroad, but not that Bahnhof Selb meant secondary art department. Very "traditional" styling. I wonder if the dot under the mark is a date mark?

Draft saved Draft deleted