Rose Medallion tea pot and matching plate, this looks old, mid 19th cent?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Mar 19, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It does look old but I think I would place them at the end of the 19th century rather than the middle. The faces aren't as expressive as they can be and the enamelling doesn't have the 3D look of the earlier works.

judy and John Brassey like this.
  3. sunday silence

as it lacks the "China" mark, then its pre 1891 or perhaps later and meant for domestic sale?

judy and John Brassey like this.
  4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I would agree with this.

judy likes this.
  5. sunday silence

the handle is odd. Is there a name for that? Can it suggest the time period?

judy likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

While that is widely written and found in some text books it's not correct. Items from China, Japan and SEA were not routinely marked on the object in English translations until the 1930's. Some items were marked on the packaging instead:

Screenshot_2.jpg

Others had paper labels which were easily removed,

Screenshot_3.jpg

and others ignored it completely. Even the first Noritake Maruki mark was just a symbol and was first used in 1902 on their export ware with no Western text on items themselves.

This commonly results in items being attributed to earlier dates than they actually are. This came about due to the McKinley Tariff act rules which laid down requirements, but the books don't talk about how the supply chain got around the rules or used non permanent methods to comply.

7. sunday silence

wow, what a bombshell. I really had no idea. obviously I am new to this field of antiques. but wow!

Draft saved Draft deleted