Rorstrand Platter "Kartago" Anyone speak Swedish?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, May 11, 2020.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I've had this platter forever and I'm finally asking for some guidance with it. I can find nothing here in the states and the few odds & ends on the web are all in Swedish so I know very little about it outside of the fact it was made by Rorstrand and the pattern is Kartago. When made and would it be worth listing are my two top questions. 13" by 6" tapering to 5", good condition. This pattern doesn't even show up on Replacements. Just need to know whether I should list it or donate it pretty much. Rorstrand Platter (2).JPG Rorstrand Platter (3).JPG Rorstrand Platter (1).JPG

Thanks for your help!

Linda

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Don't speak Swedish but I did find a little bit that might help with the dating the mark though only that it's after 1951 since it says Sweden and that it may be until sometime in the 1960s when they added a VDN letter and number.

https://rorstrand-museum.se/en/questions-answers/stamplar/1900-tal/

20th century
    [​IMG]In 1937 the crown signature had an addition. Three numbers was sometimes used to communicate the date of production. The first two numbers indicated the year of production and the third one what part of that very year the production was carried out. During the 1940s another addition to the signature is made, Sverige, and from 1951 it´s translated to Sweden.

In the 1960s another type of signature appears on porcelain, VDN. It´s a sort of quality sign that tells us what kind of material the objects are made of and also what kind of qualities they have. The signature always contains a letter, either B=bone china, F=flintware, P=porcelain or S=stoneware. The numbers 555 as in the picture means that there is no risk for the glazing to crack, that the porcelain can stand all types of food and that it can be used in a dishwasher at 75 degrees Celsius.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I forget who, but someone here has an account and is always very generous with providing sold price.

5. lvetterli

Thanks SIS and Judy, onward I go.

Linda

judy likes this.
  6. lvetterli

@Kronos I think it is you that is so helpful with Worthpoint. I would love to know if this is a dimestore item or a winner!

Linda

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. lvetterli

Thank you, JPJ!

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Love the pattern, modern and timeless.

Being an Ebay seller, only hesitation, platter being 13" long, you will need a larger box if you ship. I always have trouble finding the right box for items like this. You need ideally 16 inches in one direction, and usually that means a larger box all they way around. If listing, be sure you have a box first, plus check USPS rates for a larger box.

Anyway to do an in person sale? Might be worth trying that first.

10. lvetterli

I could put it on Marketplace, but living in a town of 10,000 with lots of farmers and cheesemakers, I kind of doubt there would be a local demand. I have beaucoup boxes, I stash all sorts of them, I should be able to find something. I'll find one, measure it and put that into the shipping calculator. I think it will be all right if I can find a starting price for it.

Linda

11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The worthpoint one sold for $19.99 in 2008.

12. lvetterli

Thank you very much @Kronos .

Linda

Draft saved Draft deleted