Featured Room Tour Anyone?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Comments from a recent thread planted this idea: How about if we (and I do mean WE) give photo tours of our rooms where our antique passions live? I'll start with a bedroom, telling you about the furnishings one by one. Then it's your turn. Future tours, if any, will depend on the response to this one:

Bed.jpg
    This is a gilt and ebonized walnut bed, part of a set by Berkey & Gay, 1880. The counterpane/quilt/whatever was made by an ancestor in the 1890s and the duck down comforter is almost as old. A triangular walnut side table with a secret compartment ca. 1860 supports a Pairpoint lamp and a Mary Gregory-painted water carafe and tumbler. The painting is a landscape by the French stage and landscape painter Philip James de Loutherbourg ca. 1780.
    Dresser.jpg
    The dresser goes with the bed. Stuff on the dresser includes a Pittsburg Lamp Company small GWTW oil lamp, a set of baccarat crystal, a Seth Thomas mantle clock that's been in the family since 1910, and a matching set of peg lamps. An 1840s linsey-woolsey piece hangs above an 1820s ebonized child's rocker with an extant fragment of gold decorative paint and a replacement rush seat reportedly from the estate of Alexander Campbell, cofounder of the Disciples of Christ church. A 1970s Kermit sits on the chair with his favorite book, "It's Not Easy Being Green." The bridge lamp is from a garage sale.
    Desk.jpg
    The desk is also attributed to Berkey & Gay, ca. 1885. It's similar to the bed set, but has more Eastlake elements in the crest rather than Renaissance Revival. A Dutch watercolor ca. 1900 hangs above, and the desk has objects such as a souvenir Westerwald stein from Neuscwhanstein ca. 1860, a carved warthog tusk, a footed Murano bowl, a couple of Japanese ivories, and a black Americana cigarette humidor ca. 1900. The chair is pierced rosewood, Gothic Revival ca. 1855.
    Washstand.jpg
    The walnut and tile washstand is from Bournemouth, England ca. 1890. The fan is Japanese. Provenance on the back says its from 1886. The pitcher and bowl have been in the family since the 1840s. The figural lamp and oil lamp are ca. 1900-1910. Underneath is a yellowware jar with lid and a red cut to clear carafe with two glasses, good for promoting fun times. The crock originated in the Kansas City area and has been in the family since before the Civil War. The rug is handmade and about 30 years old.

Whatchugot?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

My home is not tour worthy, but I’d love see more!

cxgirl, judy, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  3. Generic_Lad

Generic_Lad Active Member

Its always interesting to see things from the KC area (where I'm from) since it tends to be a desert for the antiques I tend to collect (which are almost exclusively European)

Nice furniture! One of these days I'll have space to actually collect furniture, in the meantime its all smalls for me :)

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 7 others like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

@i need help ,You write with your characteristic modesty. I would venture that your home is more than tour worthy....:)

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Thanks, @Generic_Lad . How about some photos of your Euro-treasures?

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Ghopper, and so you.:happy:
    My home is a mess, I couldn't expose anyone to that.:(

(If you want a second opinion on the origin of the fan, just ask.)

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 8 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Yes, @Any Jewelry , please offer up your opinion on the fan!

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Crap, now I have to dust!!! LOL!

Firemandk, cxgirl, kyratango and 15 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would have to see a photo of just the fan, but imo it isn't Japanese. It is beautiful though, is it silk on an ivory frame?

Love the Dutch watercolour too, my eye was drawn to it immediately. Of course.;)

cxgirl, judy, Bronwen and 7 others like this.
  10. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Fabulous pieces, especially the bed. Wow- it must be something to wake up seeing that every morning. Very nice.

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 7 others like this.
  11. Generic_Lad

Working on getting my other ones uploaded -- I'm sorta in an in-between at the moment until my job decides if they want us in office or to be remote forever so the majority of my nicer pieces are in storage (and the vast, vast majority of my silver is in a SDB minus the pieces I actually eat with/use) -- so most of these photos are taken from long ago

Seems like I have to compress images down to next to nothing to get them to upload at a reasonable speed -- and no good way to bulk upload on the forum so using a third-party account

Here's my Austrian Porcelain -- most of the rest is uploading now

https://imgur.com/a/7dmfD4N

https://imgur.com/a/4C40ND6

Darkwing Manor, cxgirl, judy and 8 others like this.
  12. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh my heavens. That is a beautiful room. Kermit actually made me laugh. Are you adopting? How about a sister from another mister?

13. Generic_Lad

https://imgbox.com/CQF2mQiw

And here's everything else, I don't see that there's a "gallery" view (and IMGUR hasn't worked for me correctly in a while) so you'll have to click the arrow keys at the top -- but there's really no good way to upload close to 200 images... And yes I know they're compressed tiny -- but if there's anything you want better pictures of or have questions on what it is, just ask -- a single image shouldn't be hard to upload in reasonable quality

EDIT: https://imgbox.com/g/kXMq35RyBx <-- this might be the gallery view link

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    cxgirl, Any Jewelry, judy and 8 others like this.
  14. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Yea!!!!!! Beautiful room. I wish mine were so well organized. And knowing what everything is and how old is amazing. My collections are so varied and disorganized. Maybe this will inspire me to make them presentable.

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  15. Ghopper1924

@Generic_Lad OMG, the treasures! The silver, gold, porcelain, coins, cutlery!! I'm out of my element, but jealous nevertheless. I can see how KC would not be the best place for a collector like you.

@Any Jewelry Yes, the fan is silk and ivory. There is written documentation attached to the back of the frame, which I'm too lazy to take down right now. I do remember that it amounted to a date of 1886, and I thought it had to do with Japan.

What is your opinion on the date and origin?

Just FYI, this is not our bedroom, but a spare bedroom.

16. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Totally amazing room, furniture and art. I love the ease and expertise of your descriptions too. Thanks for sharing.

I love the idea for this thread. I'll get a (single!) pic up sometime soon.

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ghopper1924- Your spare bedroom is wonderful. It's the kind of place I would like to just go into and sit. Quiet, visual beauty is very calming to me.

judy, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Generic_Lad - your Austrian porcelain is to die for. I especially like, well, I can't decide. I guess I especially like all of them!!!

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wow, the bedroom is simply gorgeous. I only wish my place was that neat.

cxgirl, NewEngland, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  20. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Snapshots of our style.
    aa.JPG bb.JPG cc.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted