Featured Rookwood Pottery owl dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Have had this for a while. When I purchased it was told it was a "second" because of the slash mark on the base. Very hard to read the Rookwood mark, did my best in 2nd photo.

So I realize being a "second" is going to impact value, but I'm not seeing a lot of the white version out there, so maybe will have interest as I'm planning to sell. There are a number of different colors for sale, all of the sellers seem to be able to narrow the date of manufacture in their listings. Any idea how to do that? Thanks.

owl1.jpg
    owl9.jpg

stracci, Marote, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The lines around the logo tell you the date of manufacture. Can you count them?

Marote, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marie. I didn't know that with Rookwood!

Unfortunately its difficult to even make a guess. The mark is so filled with glaze. DH looked and thought a set of 8 and 5, but completely not sure.

Just made out the numerals beneath, "1084" but could be a model number.

Maybe will try to get a better photo of that stamp.

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice piece-can you clean & sharpen the stamp ?

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

"Rubylane: Ellie's Treasure Shop. Blue Rookwood Owl. 1937"

bercrystal, Any Jewelry and Marote like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The numbers would be a mold/model number. The Roman numerals beween the mark and numbers would be the date. Maybe XLV? (1945) XLVI? (1946)

Rookwood was pretty rigorous in their quality control. The X-out could be for something as benign as that spot seen on the front or even that the mark was partially obscured. If you list it be sure to mention the X-out and any potential flaws found. Most buyers will overlook an X-out if they can determine why it is there and it does not bother them.

Draft saved Draft deleted