Rookwood-Artist Identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brenda M, Aug 30, 2024.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

Hello,

Can the artist of the piece be determined by this photo?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the bottom of a piece of Rookwood pottery? No other photographs are available?

Debora

Rookwood.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

Hi Debora, yes that is the piece. Initially I got Janet Harris' name somewhere but can't locate the post, so hoping the group could confirm or deny for me.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you think it's signed under the sticker?

Debora

6. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

I was thinking the same thing. Since I already listed it showing the sticker, I hesitated removing it. However, I don't want to mispresent the piece, so probably better just to remove the listing until I can confirm. Then I can remove the sticker as well. Question, does the "finishers' mark" indicate the artist?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Caution with removing the sticker. Sure someone here will have best advice for doing so.

Debora

8. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

I think your label may be covering her initials.

There is a pitcher listed on Ebay by her. You can search Rookwood Wax Matte Lavender 14 1/2" Ewer Virginia Creeper 1929 Janet Harris.

janetharris2.jpg

janetharris1.jpg

9. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

I'm going to reach out to the bidders, explain the situation and remove the post. Then I'll check under the label and hope her initials are presesnt in order to relist. I appreciate your responses!

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that label has been there a long time.........
    yes...as Deb says..... wait for best advice for doing so.

Debora likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Morooms....... = morons !

at least whomever placed the label.....if there is something underneath..

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In 1929, the store's name would have had more cachet than the designer's.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  13. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

That is a good point. Do you think it would hurt to set it in a shallow bowl of warm soapy water to remove the label?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. You're objective is to reapply the sticker or at least save it for the next buyer. I would think a razor used carefully a better choice. But please wait for other opinions.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted