Roman pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewEngland, Jul 27, 2024.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I bought some ancient pottery at an auction recently. They did not come with any paperwork (this auction house mostly does estate sales and house cleanouts). They look genuine but I've never owned anything like these. What do you think? The Roman pottery pieces are very small and are marked with numbers on the bottom, possibly excavation dates and also the towns where they were found, and one small bowl is marked with a paper label that reads "Fernie Coll 1st Cent Exc at Winchester". The Greek statue on a stand has a label from a NYC antiquities dealer (I emailed them but all they said was it was an older piece from their 1990s catalog) and the bust (possibly Cybele?) has an old paper label with the number 2323. I'm not sure where to bring them to confirm that they are old.

2romangreekstatuescloseresized.jpg 2romoangreekstatuesb-1resizd.jpg romanpotteryAcresized.jpg romanpotteryBbresized.jpg romanpotteryC_1resized.jpeg romanpotteryCb_2resized.jpg romanpotteryjugresized.jpg romanpotteryjugbresized.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The Roman pottery looks right and the locations would match. The Fernie label looks like a Victorian accession label.

I’m not at all sure on the Greek pieces, we don’t find those here. The mounts worry me a little.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There has been care to label these with find spots, done quite some time ago now. I can't speak to age or culture. I believe them to be genuine -- unless the museum deaccessions were due to inauthenticy. It is Cybele/Fortuna.

Draft saved Draft deleted