Featured Rogue pieces of crystal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dcfirebottle, Jun 22, 2020.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

I know plain crystal can be boring to some people. Mostly glasses, plates and such. Even a little boring to me but I have quite a bit, mostly in sets, that I enjoy using occasionally when entertaining.
    I have some pieces that don't match any of the sets. These are a few of them. Was wondering if any of the experts can id them? Spent some time at replacements and identified a lot, mostly the large sets. After awhile though, everything starts to look the same to me. I'd truly appreciate any comments on the pieces.
    Was also wondering about the small round piece with lid. Any ideas about use? My wife said possibly caviar? Too small for butter... Just basic pic's added, can take some more 20200622_054347_resized.jpg 20200622_060034_resized.jpg 20200622_060047_resized.jpg 20200622_060100_resized.jpg 20200622_060113_resized.jpg if need be.

TallCakes, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-6-22_21-27-6.png

#1 American Brilliant Period cut glass decanter. Can't tell from your picture, but the leaves may not be cut and were molded. Which would put it at the latter part of the ABP.
    #2 Appears to be EAPG (Early American Pressed Glass). I'll have a look in a minute for the pattern.
    #3. Is the butter dish to a child's set.
    #4. Matching ABP nappies. A littler earlier than your decanter. See how much cutting was done in comparison.

As for who made them. You can look for acid etched marks in the center of the nappies. Very hard to find, if they were signed at all.

3. clutteredcloset49

I went back to look closer at the creamer so I could check my EAPG book and realized it too is cut.
    It's out of focus, so I didn't see the saw tooth edge and top of the handle when I looked the first time.
    upload_2020-6-22_21-37-45.png

Meant to also say that it is zipper cut and paneled. A lot of companies would have made variations of this.
    You can look for an acid etch mark around the handle, if it was marked at all.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

hard to say on some but clearer images might help.

the toy butter is Cambridge #2635 Fernland AKA: Snowflake c1906
    shallow bowls are Westmoreland #666 AKA: Sunburst & Arrows c1914

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The creamer looks EAPG to me.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Butting in here to try and educate myself... so all the items are glass, not crystal?

cxgirl and KSW like this.
  7. TallCakes

in USA clear glass is also called crystal; glass with a designated amount of lead may be called lead crystal. FYI. EAPG is Early American Pattern Glass...

8. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Thank you all for the info.Very helpful.

cxgirl and KSW like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Thank you for the correction.

KSW likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm in the USA and I was unaware of that. I thought there had to be some lead/mineral content to be termed crystal.

Or is it just in the collecting world that clear glass is also called crystal?

[​IMG]

11. clutteredcloset49

bluumz likes this.
  12. TallCakes

not sure what that comparison image is attempting to say but it seems mostly balderdash to me.

thoughts on glass vs crystal are pretty much subjective. Here's an short article with prolly more than most would care to consider: https://www.recognitionsource.com/b...general rule that,of glass that contains lead.

...glass is a generic name, while, crystal is a subcategory of glass, made in the same manner as glass but with different materials. Hence, all crystal is glass, but not all glass is crystal.

Bakersgma and bluumz like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My mother collected European crystal back in the 1960s/70s and sometimes talked about crystal vs glass, ie: crystal contained lead which enhanced it's sparkle and made it feel heavier.

A snippet from TallCakes linked article:
    "According to John Kennedy, head of technical services at Waterford in Waterford, Ireland, there are very specific guidelines for what constitutes real crystal. There are three primary criteria for crystal as established by the European Union in 1969: a lead content in excess of 24%, a density in excess of 2.90 and a reflective index of 1.545. However, outside of the European Union, this definition is usually disregarded. In the United States, any glass with more than 1% of lead content is termed as crystal."

14. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Lead glass was devolved to replace the flint glass, containing, chelated flint. The flint was brittle and hard to cut. The lead formula was "softer" and easier to cut. Unfortunately lead glass was hard to press in a mold for mass production, About 1860 "Soda" glas was developed which worked well in a pressed mold and for production blowing. I is slightly harder to cut.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted