Featured Rodgers Cutlery sewing tools?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by dcfirebottle, Jan 29, 2018.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

I've had these two little sewing tools for awhile. They were in the same little envelope, when I got them out of my grandmothers basement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are a button hook and a tool for pulling out hems. Looks like mother of pearl handles. No luck finding them online, just lots of knives and razors. 20180117_084424_resized_1.jpg 20180117_084319_resized_1.jpg
    I use to have a knife with the same writing except it was "his majesty" instead of her majesty. Does this date them? Also, I've seen Rodgers & sons, even Joseph Rodgers & sons. As the company got older they just kept changing the name, I guess. Which is the oldest? Any comments welcomed.

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The Joseph Rodgers & Sons company was based in Sheffield, England, which is in line with the royalty indications on your pieces. Queen Elizabeth's coronation was in 1953, so the reference to His Majesty would predate that.
    You have identified the buttonhook and the second item is a sewing tool, called a stiletto or awl, could be used to pull hem threads, but primarily intended to punch out the holes in handmade eyelet or make a new hole in a leather belt, used wherever a neat consistently sized hole was need.

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I love tools... of any kind :)

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It is a button hook (left) for gloves and boots, and an awl or holepunch, for sewing and knitting and making buttonholes etc.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Awl shucks!
    Me too! :)

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Ha! Thank you all (awl)
    I have a no name sterling version of the little awl. Been trying to find the use for a long time. I see them advertised as letter openers!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted