Rock Crystal Stem ID Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ezlisting, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Does anyone recognize this stem? I've gone through Libbey and have looked on Chatabout, but I am really lousy at finding a match! The bowl has a lot going on which I was not able to capture with photographs. (Still working on lighting) But the bowl has swags, floral, geometrical, and oval designs. The stem has a hexagon wafer and zipper/notched stem. The bowl is also optical.

IMGP8786.JPG IMGP8789.JPG IMGP8790.JPG IMGP8791.JPG IMGP8792.JPG IMGP8795.JPG IMGP8796.JPG IMGP8797.JPG

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like Libbey/Rock Sharp in the Replacement lexicon. Check their shapes and then the cuttings. Takes a little time if you have to do it on line but is doable. Book is easier if you have it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Thanks George. What is booi? Is it something I can purchase?

4. George Nesmith

Book is Page & Frederiksen "Crystal Stemware Identification Guide". Under 15 used at Amazon including shipping at last check. No values but easier to id maker and stem line then look for decoration.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If the Libbey Rocke Sharp doesn't pan out and you have time, you may want to check out Cambridge patterns. They were quite prolific and did this type of cutting.

6. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Thanks Pat, I have the Cambridge 1930-34 catalog and the shape is very close to some but not the engraving. I'll keep searching. Thanks for the help.

7. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

8. George Nesmith

At least you now know. Better if you do but good sleuthing.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is it customary to refer to what is manufactured glass as 'rock crystal' which is a natural mineral occasional used in the making of rare and precious items.

Are you referring to what I'd call lead glass?

terry5732 likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I find it confusing as well. Someone says rock crystal - I'm expecting quartz. But it is common practice to call glass in this style rock crystal. I think it differentiates polished cutting from gray cuts or etching.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  11. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Yes. This is what you would call leaded crystal glass. Rock crystal is a term the manufacturers used way back when theses were made. Libbey called their line Rock Sharpe. Cambridge called their line Rock Engraved. I'm not sure what other glass houses called theirs, but the word Rock was probably involved.

12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

A few things need clarified here. First and foremost, Libbey and Rock Sharp were two separate companies until Libbey bought out Rock Sharp. They sold old stock until it was gone, but Libbey never made glass or cuttings on or for Rock Sharp. Two separate companies, until Replacements found a catalog of RS in the Libbey archives and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Rock Crystal, in the twentieth century meant and means light cut wares which have been acid polished, instead of mechanically polished. It was a marketing term attempting to give more value to something which had less work involved in it.

13. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

In all my years in dealing with ABP, I did not know this! Thank you very much for the clarification, Cherryhill.

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Nor did I, and I kept meaning (and then forgetting) to ask on the board. Thanks, Cherryhill!

Draft saved Draft deleted