Ring identification please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Nicola Trofanice, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Hello all

We found this ring on a very early victorian dump field we took it to a jeweller who gave it a rub and they said they believe it is lead we find other bits of jewellery near it which we have identified but not this piece there aren't any markings or stamps on it any help again would be greatly appreciated- Nicci 1642447235785.jpg 1642447298781.jpg 1642447264429.jpg

judy and reader like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did the Jeweler FILE that??????? I didn't see where you're from....I CAN be WAAAAY off base, but to me it has a Scottish look to it, but can't speak for the Lead comment! I was able to enlarge it 2.5X though.....sometimes I find things/sometimes I don't- accurately......but where I've CIRCLED in red, where it looked like it was either cleaned or filed, but filing wouldn't make sense, so maybe it was just the angle of light, as it looks (TO ME) like there might be a '17?7' date there....very tiny and maybe just looks like it! ALSO, below where the red ARROW is pointing, again, it looks (TO ME) like I see a '17'.....but YOU have the ring in hand and if you have a good Loupe, you might see more accurately......I know it's SO MUCH FUN to go digging for treasure!!!! Hope it pans out!!!

1642447298781-standard-scale-2_50x.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the ring as gold colored as it looks in photos? Was the area where Aqui has the circle there when you found it or did the jeweller do that?

In the Victorian era they used brass, including one called 'pinchbeck', to make jewellery that mimicked gold. If it looks gold, brass would be my first suggestion. If it actually looks silver, then we'll have to do some thinking.

Figtree3, judy, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Nicola Trofanice would you be able to get some clearer photos?
    If you are using an iPhone, try downloading the Camera +2 App, it has a very good macro setting for close ups. Then try on some plain white paper so the focus is on the ring.
    It looks really interesting but difficult to see the detail.
    I really hope the jeweller didn’t file that inside edge off and it’s a trick of the light.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like the seawavey decoration, but I wonder if it is not jewellery but rather part of something else? A decorative ring on another item?

Figtree3, KSW and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted