Reverse Glass Painting by Senegal Artist Samba Guyeye

Discussion in 'Art' started by dude, Dec 22, 2019.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Update: Found the artist, thanks to AnyJewelry's tip pointing me in the right direction for a bit of detective work, and an anonymous individual from the Humans of Dakar site who quickly replied to my inquiries. The creator is Samba Guyeye, a Senegal artist from a family of talented inside glass painters. As for the subject matter, here is a quote (with a link) from the person who replied to me: "The subject is a Baye Fall; they are part of the Muslim brotherhood known as the Mourides; they often "self hit" with those sticks, and they are usually seen in Dakar wearing patchwork outfits: https://face2faceafrica.com/article/baye-fall."

Again, sorry for the poor quality pics on file.

IMG_20191222_061246.jpg IMG_20191222_061201.jpg IMG_20191222_061220.jpg IMG_20191222_061112.jpg IMG_20191222_061201.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the name Gueye is Senegalese.

Houseful, dude and judy like this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ah, good, I am glad it helped. It is one of the few Senegalese surnames I know.;)

I like the painting, and the artist has an interesting background. The Mouride are a Sufi order (Islamic Mystic), it's members are known to be hardworking and entrepreneurial.

dude, judy and Houseful like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I emailed a group called Humans of Dakar that came up in my research to see if they can help. Someone got back to me quickly and said it looks to be by Samba Guyeye.

Also, I had posted something before about a Tall Papa Iba piece I have but can't find the thread. Do you see it on your end?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

SBSVC likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The only Senegalese thing I'm familiar with is Youssou N'Dour et le super etoile de Dakar

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted