Restore or sell as is rare reverse painted sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sdcookie2, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

So I have a dilemma , found this rare sign that has some problem. This has sold for as much as 5k in mint condition, the paint has bubbled mostly in the black, good news is it is still semi pliable the paint. Not sure how much a restoration would be. Anyway what would you do?

Thanks Kim PXL_20210901_140928350_copy_768x1365.jpg PXL_20210901_140942838_copy_768x1365.jpg PXL_20210901_140958398_copy_768x1365.jpg

cxgirl and Bronwen like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Have no expertise in signs, but if it were mine, but I would leave it as-is so you don't eliminate the purist collectors. I also would research the prices both ways, or perhaps members here with sign experience can supply better info than I can. Cheers - Joe

cxgirl, Boland and Bronwen like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed. Good advice to research prices either way. I don’t know much but personally I would also leave it ‘as found’. It is also my understanding that collectors of signs and advertising material want ‘originality.’

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep. Sell as is. Good reasoning above re "purist collectors" and those who want to restore may have their own preferred resources.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is painted? Deteriorating and flaking paint usually looks more brittle, with cracking and lost flakes. The pattern on your piece looks more like a decal (a printed plastic film) that is bubbling and separating from the glass. If a genuine painted version is rare and valuable, there would be an incentive to create decal reproductions.

Tanya and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Good point and question. Does look like it’s a plastic cover that is lifting. Alot of the reproductions have like a laminated plastic cover. What is the sign itself made of? Thin metal sheeting?

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

One sided yes?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look olde tyme-y rather than old time. Compare.

Debora

549ac6962462d3943065b89dbe2a2510--art-vintage-vintage-signs.jpg

9. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Yes it is painted, has areas of where it has flaked off

10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Just had a look on line. If it is authentic and you are 100% sure then it is worth a lot money (as you said) and in amazing condition for it’s age (I read 1800’s?) I would then definitely not touch,restore it or have anything done. I will just get it verified and appraised and take things from there. Maybe someone covered it with a plastic sheeting to protect it (Iam no expert so I don’t know) Best to have it check out/authenticated by someone with knowledge.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've never seen paint flake like that....!!!
    It does indeed look like a laminated car window that is bubbling up...

photo's can be confusing.......sometimes..

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What is the supposed date of the sign? Newer paints, based on synthetic resins such as latex, will deteriorate/separate in a different way than 19th century paints/lacquers.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A photograph of the back would be helpful.

Debora

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

cxgirl likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted