Request of identification of style and period of the old furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Radek, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Radek

Radek New Member

Hi everyone. I have a polite request to help me with ID of an artistic style and a time of production of this old furniture I bought few days ago. Is this a Biedermeier? Thank you for your time! Greetings.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's not Biedermeier and it appears to have had some restoration attempts done to it, including a replacement handle. (The missing mirror wasn't replaced.) What were you told about it, Radek, and in what part of the world did you find it?

Debora

Radek and wlwhittier like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a bedroom wash stand/shaving stand. Water bowl goes in the top once you lift the lid. Shaving goods sit on the first shelf. Chamber pot goes on the bottom. They were common in the old days.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Heavily altered, refinished 1870s Renaissance Revival wash stand as noted above.

So: your screen name: Radek? As in Karl Radek aka Karl Sobellsohn? Soviet media maven who died in Stalin’s 1930s show trials? Interesting choice!

Or maybe that’s just a coincidence……

5. Radek

Radek New Member

Thanks for the answer. A seller informed me that it is a kind of toilet furniture. It was found in Poland.

6. Radek

Radek New Member

Thanks for such accurate dating and noooo.... definitely no! :D I'm interested in history so I know who you're writing about. I assure you that it is a pure coincidence - it's simplifed version of my (slavic) name - Radosław.:D

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted