Reproductions Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Describe the reproductions you've recently seen in person or online to this thread to raise collector awareness. If possible please attach a photo.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Recently saw a large quantity of reproduction oil bottles at an antique mall. Many had graphics of the major old-time gasoline brands such as Gulf, Mobil, and Standard Oil. Every antique mall I go to has a few of these, and larger malls usually have an entire booth selling this junk. Shame it is allowed to happen by mall management. These bottles are not represented as old but the fact that they are new is not disclosed. Price range is usually in the $30-80 range.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Great site! I've used it in the past. Doesn't seem to be updated much these days unfortunately.

kyratango, Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

As I've often repeated on this forum ad nauseum there is lots of reproduction Roseville & McCoy pottery out there. I see at least one (sometimes many) fake piece(s) of Roseville Pottery in every antique mall of any size I set foot into. Good thing about Roseville Pottery fakes is that many of them are relatively crude and easily spotted. Most will not say "Roseville USA" on the bottom but just "Roseville" and many have glazes that look and may actually be just spray painted on.

McCoy Pottery fakes are in some instances much harder to spot since McCoy's wares are considerably more plain. Many reproductions will be slightly smaller than the original but that info is only handy if you carry you reference books and tape measure around with you while antiquing. There are many fake McCoy cookie jars some of them copied from Hull Pottery designs. If you see a little red riding hood cookie jar that says McCoy, not Hull, you know to run not walk away from that "deal".

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

While we're on the topic. No comment from you, so not sure whether you saw. What's your assessment of this recent acquisition of mine? Thank you. :)

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/ceramic-vase-what-did-i-buy.41094/

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Generally in art pottery, unmarked pieces have been fairly safe from reproductions up to this point in my experience. Overseas companies that import repros generally want the "brand" recognition that comes with known companies that have large collector bases. Thus on many fake McCoy pieces they put a fake "McCoy" mark on a piece that should have a Nelson-McCoy "NM" mark. On Roseville they occasionally add fake "Roseville" marks to pieces that were originally unmarked, had a paper label, or had the "R" mark.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That would be a day job, Joe.:facepalm:

9. Bronwen

Thanks! The pieces of corn ware I have each have a single model/shape number on them, but they're all yellow & green. The vase has 2 numbers, neither of them the 090 on a couple of others with the same shape & size. Is one number for the color? Would a changed shape number indicate a different time period with different management?

My corn pieces vary considerably in the detail & subtlety of the coloring, with the lidded jar I inherited looking far more like a ripening ear of corn than others; one or two look like the yellow & green were applied with a house painter's brush. I was pleased when I found my new vase was also complex in its colors.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Please don't call fakes reproductions

Fenton makes reproductions of the same pieces they made 100 years ago. They are made by Fenton in the old mold. That is a reproduction.

Bingling Company in China making a watch that says Rolex on the dial is not a reproduction.

The fantasy oil bottles you mentioned are not reproduction.

Call a fake a fake.

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Cookie Jars. This lady had many in her attic and from the little I know of pottery, they looked new from China.
    There is also a lot of Black Americana that is fantasy stuff.

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And cast iron toys and banks :wideyed:

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And anything Native American/Canadian First Nations...

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've got a collection of lead mainly horse toys, wagons and carts etc. Some lead toys particularly the Britains Racing Colours horses are being copied. Originals are all hollow cast lead but often the copies are solid. Difficult to tell from a photo but you know as soon as they are in your hand as obviously much heavier. They sell on eBay for significant sums of money so worth looking carefully and asking seller for the weight.

15. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Three fakes I see more of than any other is contemporary Tiffany & Co. sterling jewelry, Rolex watches and Roseville.

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Jivvy, Bronwen, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Repro, Fake, Counterfeit, call them what you will, all made to deceive.

This is a hoard I've accumulated over the years, not a gram of silver in there.

Thankfully I did not buy these, they were scattered among bulk collections purchased from the gullible.

img116-vert.jpg

img118-vert.jpg

Fid, KSW, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Like this?
    I assume it’s fake although I’ve never had the back off. Not that I want to promote fake (this watch found me rather than vice-versa) it’s the best timekeeper I’ve ever had, never missed a beat.
    BC4C11D3-F127-4C51-B9A0-DA0E5DE0BE8A.jpeg

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My goodness. Wouldn't have a clue.

It's well and good that my livelihood is not related to antiques. :bucktooth:

kyratango likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bernard Bloch Jugendstil figures. size smaller than normal. wrong glaze. mostly imported via Britanny from England into France; sold from there to Europe; also some appearances in the US. most probably made in Asia.
    bloch1 (640x468).jpg
    bloch2 (640x414).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted