Featured Repousse Sterling Vessel with Massive Perhaps Amber Central Portion

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Aug 27, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

3 7/8" rim dia, 2 1/4" hgt, 2 1/8" foot dia, 201 grams. It appears that the 'amber' is a continuous piece, underlaying the inner cup & extending into the foot. I don't know of a non-destructive test for amber, and so cannot really ID the material showing around the cup, and in the base window. It may be a poured resin; the dark inclusions suggest that. The repousse work seems to be particularly well done; very detailed, with 3 rows of fine 'beading'; I don't recognize any of the 4 vignetted figures.
    A guess for origin would be SE Asia, or maybe India; I don't think Persian, but..
    Your wisdom and comments are sought...with gratitude for lookin'!

8327569E-A314-4E53-BB59-C37D5C4FA9A3_1_201_a.jpeg 3F263F70-2D18-49F2-9602-0A57C465A29A_1_201_a.jpeg ED449433-8728-44DF-A485-6545782A85BE_1_201_a.jpeg 454B0630-4F7D-4AEA-A5E9-FCECEB532559_1_201_a.jpeg 0058C6D9-CD41-47D4-873F-4EE8EEE32812_1_201_a.jpeg CAA87E8C-ED07-45EC-92F8-41C47CC4D9B6_1_201_a.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A Tibetan butter tea cup. What looks like amber is probably something else. These are usually wood.
    Whit, do you have a UV flashlight?

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  3. wlwhittier

Do you mean that the 'amber' is usually wooden...or that the cups are entirely wooden?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The 'amber' is usually wood. The cup is wood, with silver mounts inside and around the base to protect the wood. And because it looks so good.:)
    I wonder if yours has a thick layer of varnish or lacquer.

I don't have much time to get into it now, but the repoussé has a lot of Buddhist symbolism.

5. wlwhittier

Thanks, AJ...found a few on th' bay, all wooden.
    No evidence of any finish on mine...the resin (if that's what it is) has depth 'an perspective.

kyratango likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice bowl !

IvaPan and wlwhittier like this.
  7. wlwhittier

...isn't touched by acetone, which was suggested as a test for amber. Next will be a discrete hot-pin stab, hoping the resultant aroma will offer a clue.

8. komokwa

before u do that , ask here about the hot pin method....

IvaPan likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

Yep...it turns to a blue-green gray, not quite opaque. The inclusions become more pronounced, probably just by contrast...their color doesn't change. I should have included that revelation in my OP.

10. wlwhittier

I'm askin'...my plan go in at the edge of the bottom window, lightly, but you've got my attention komo.

11. komokwa

the hot pin may react with unknown material in a very unfriendly way , causing harm to the item or yourself.

I don't speak of everyone here....but given time others will echo these thoughts....as has happened many times when folks here bring up the hot pin method//

IvaPan likes this.
  12. wlwhittier

Understood, an' thanks.
    My nose still works, and I'll be judicious in my pinning & whiffing.

13. wlwhittier

I've not screwed up the courage to mar even slightly the material under question...nor do I expect to. It is enough for me to know what it's correctly called...it may go on eBay, eventually. Thanks, all!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hot pin is bad, acetone is bad, anything is bad that will damage the material you are trying to test :(

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's very nice -- I didn't see this when you posted back in August. I wouldn't want to test it, either!

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted