Featured Reposting item with more questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RuthEP, Mar 12, 2024.

1. RuthEP

RuthEP Member

I have done a lot of work on this item I've posted in the past and I have tons more information and a heap of new questions.
    The facts as gathered painstakingly:
    The vase (8'' high or so) is probably czech, hand decorated in Israel by a czech artist by the name of Vojtech Janovic in 1954. Janovic studied in the Bratislava Handelsschule between 1927-1929, had worked in the 1930s in Moravska Ostrava and Chribska (I still haven't found where) and in the late 1940s, after six years as prisoner in concentration and extermination camps, in Novy Bor/Hajda. He then fled to Israel in late 1949 where he owned a workshop by the name of Artis (see here, for example:https://www.ebay.com/itm/176076768415) which imported glass and porcelain from Czechoslovakia and Japan and decorated them in Israel. He mostly used decals but this was a gift so I assume he used his experience and knowledge from Czechoslovakia and had the tools and materials in his workshop.
    1. By the clear bottom I gather it's cased glass. How do I know what type? Is opaline the right term?
    2. What profession would he have learned in Bratislava? I would love to find the school archive but still didn't. Any help would be appreciated.
    3. Any glass factory archive from these placed from the era would help me immensely. I very much hope to find him in at least one factory.
    4. I suppose it's enamel and gold. Could he have used anything else for the gilding or does it have to be real gold?
    5. Are such vases blown or cast?
    Other novy bor art glass for reference: https://www.dumporcelanu.com/vase-35-cm-white-glass-gold-enamel-novy-bor-glass
    download (3).png

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 11.08.08_2224512a.jpg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 11.08.07_acfa8936.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a little stunner, Ruth.
    A Handelsschule is a secondary school where the focus is on learning to be a merchant. Handel = trade. They teach the regular secondary school subjects, as well as commerce, economy, book keeping, product knowledge etc..
    So he probably wouldn't have learned a craft there.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not cased, it looks dipped or flashed. Opaline glass is a solid colour, so not that either. It’s then been enamelled. I’d suspect he did ab apprenticeship.

RuthEP and kentworld like this.
  4. RuthEP

RuthEP Member

It is indeed.
    Isn't flashed glass always transparent? This vase it at most translucent.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

No, it can look translucent. Depends on the thickness.

RuthEP likes this.
  6. RuthEP

RuthEP Member

I see. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted