Featured Renaissance painting copy with cracklature -- hand painted?

Discussion in 'Art' started by AntiqueBytes, Aug 19, 2024.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I saw this in my local antique mall the other day.

I wanted to take it off the wall to photograph the other side but the dealer had the price tag stuck to the wall which made it impossible. The whole thing was heavy and the back looked like it was made of cork, but only a type of heavy material that just looked like cork on the surface but was much denser. Does that seem authentic?

She always seems to get the best stuff in the mall, and so I'm wondering the provenance on this.

It's a copy of a Raphael. There are several hand done copies of this painting. The cracklature makes me think it's real.

It was just about two feet high, probably smaller.

cracklemadona1.jpg cracklemadona2.jpg

Figtree3, Bronwen and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Not to be crass, but how much was she asking? That'll be a clue to what she knows about it.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  3. AntiqueBytes

About $150. I see the price is just cut off at the side.

Figtree3, Bronwen and Potteryplease like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It looks like a reproduction in which the figures have been outlined in silver paint and nimbuses in gold have been added. (In the original, the figures have halos.)

Debora

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The way the craqelure has developed in parallel lines that way looks very wrong to me, but this is far out of my field, so others may educate me.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no , your right.......they look wrong !!!

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Craquelure can develop in interesting patterns. Here's a few examples at the Hamilton Kerr Institute. I swear there's another article about types somewhere on the Courtauld's website too but I can't find it right now. :rolleyes:

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This was really interesting, the way paintings from different countries tended to show a characteristic craquelure. This one still looks far too regular for long stretches. It reminds me of the way Celluloid meant to look like ivory compares with genuine ivory. One explanation could be the material it is painted on, which is currently a mystery.

Figtree3, mirana, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That craquelure appears to be rolled on. And rolled on to flesh only. If you study it, you can see the pattern repeating itself down the length of the child. Forgive my bluntness, but I fail to see the appeal of this piece. Or understand how the seller can justify a 3-figure price.

Debora

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. And both nimbuses have bits cut off.:(
    It looks like the kind of reproduction you see in Italian souvenir shops and in shops that sell religious art.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The original. 'The Grand Duke's Madonna.' Oil on panel. Raphael. c. 1504-1505. Pitti Palace, Florence.

Debora

the-grand-duke-s-madonna-1505.jpg!Large.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ya know... I think the seller's descriptive word "icon" is key here. That explains the silver paint outlining the figures and the replacement of the halos with the gold paint nimbuses. Don't know why someone would tart up a copy of a masterwork in this way but that's what's been done.

Debora

90.jpeg

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Slightly OT perhaps.....but while researching a factory painting I found that many of the companies who will sell you a factory painting will make a copy of anything you want....and that you can order those replica paintings with or without craquelure. It appears that craquelure is pretty easy for those companies to add to any painting they make.

johnnycb09, Figtree3, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Would you like craquelure with that order?"

Debora

16. AntiqueBytes

I wonder about the "cork" material it was backed with. It seemed solid as the piece was heavy. Cork isn't porous so it wasn't resin soaked regular cork.

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

We'd have to see a photograph to even speculate.

Debora

johnnycb09, Bronwen and mirana like this.
  18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Perhaps particle board?

particle-board-2.jpg

~Cheryl

komokwa, johnnycb09, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  19. AntiqueBytes

Yes, it was probably a type of dense heavy particle board.

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's not a good sign.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted