Featured Removing stains/musty smell from ring box?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jul 30, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey, I have been finding some amazing ring boxes lately to go with my collection. I got this 1920s? or 1930s? ring box from an antique store earlier today however it was quite dirty with some stains and an old musty smell. It is maid out of some sort of corded material. I let it set out in fresh air for hours and it helped tremendously but there is still a faint smell. As for the stains I tried a q-tip with water and it didn't do anything but strip a little color out of the fabric.... I think I may have to leave it alone. Will leave it out if the sun tomorrow for awhile to help disinfect it as well. Thoughts or advice?
    20170729_231118_resized.jpg 20170729_231057_resized.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't do more than you're doing....but if you want ..hit it with a shot of lysol...or fabreeze....

looks like a wedding / engagement ring box.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bicarbonate of soda will get rid of the smell. Put some in the lid of a small jewellery box (no water!), and place the small lid inside this box until the smell has gone.
    As Komo said, looks like a wedding/engagement ring box.

4. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I appreciate the help! Would you say around 1920s or so for this box? I have an antique store near me who is constantly looking for and buying all antique ring boxes seems like they are popular in my area at the moment.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I do not know the underlying fabric content but . . . the word "faille" popped into my head when I saw your fabric with ribbing. ;)

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I found a city directory listing for Zell Brothers Jewelers in Portland as early as 1918 and as late as the mid-30's. Could be both earlier and later, of course, because of the database I was using.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right. Just couldn't think of it before, but yes faille, like you see on ribbons.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I tell everybody. Get a small Ozone machine. It gets rid all odors in a couple of hours. You don't need an expensive machine. I bought a small Oriental rug that had slight odor in the winter but in the spring was awful. Cat must have sprayed it. Had it cleaned several times but the smell returned in humid conditions. I was thinking of tossing it and i remembered my old Ozone machine. Had not used it in 10 years.
    Got it out and placed the rug in a cardboard box, plugged in the machine and the next day the cat smell was gone for good. Just be careful to use it correctly it can harm animals especially humans.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Which, under the right circumstances, may be what you are...................oh! never mind................I didn't realize that I was typing what I was thinking.....................

Draft saved Draft deleted