Featured Religious Tile

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewEngland, Aug 15, 2023.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Can someone help me identify the age and origin of this 3-part religious clay tile? It has a signature on the bottom (Frederick?). It's handmade and very heavy and thick. Each part measures approx 9x11", for a total length of 26". It's 3/4" thick. Thanks!

TileResizedA.jpg TileResizedB.jpg TileResizedD.jpg TileResizedAAA.jpg

johnnycb09, komokwa and judy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unfortunately cropping, cutting off Madonna and Child at the neck like that. A bit amateurish as bottom tile only made up of gown.

Debora

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see the "k." Could it be just Frederic?

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

i see Frederic as well.I love it. I collect religious artifacts even though Im not really religious. I get a WPA vibe from this.

NewEngland likes this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I've got Frederick too. Is that wavy pattern on the back of the tiles grout or part of the tiles? Could this be soaked to scrape it off and revel more or would this be deemed as sacrilege?

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No question. It's Frederick. Unless it's Frederich, which doesn't look right since the rest of the name isn't using the German spelling.

8. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

It's part of the clay. These things are very heavy, solid clay.

Chinoiserie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted