Featured Religious Book Box, Reliquary?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by drg642, Oct 25, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This little metal book shaped hinged box came on a charm bracelet. It is silver color metal, does not test silver. Inside is a piece of cloth folded up accordion style, which was glued to a small cardboard backing which was at one time glued down inside the box.
    Do you think the cloth is original, and what is it called? Is this properly described as a reliquary? If so, does the design on the box suggest an origin, or a particular Saint?
    I've seen a few similar boxes, but none with contents like this. Than you!
    rq1.JPG rq2.JPG rq3.JPG rq4.JPG rq5.JPG rq6.JPG

judy, Vintage Maven, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is interesting. I have a tiny book-shaped item of that type, but mine has two metal "pages" inside with oval openings. Most likely for very tiny photographs. I always thought mine was meant to be put on a chain to wear around the neck. But can see that it is small enough for a charm bracelet. Mine is made of brass, or brass-colored metal.

No insight here on yours, though.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Vintage Maven, judy and KSW like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

With the heart on the front Id guess more of a sweetheart keepsake. The cloth might at one time meant something to the previous owner . I love little bits like this.

Vintage Maven, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fleur de lys. Jeanne d'Arc?

5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a lot of cloth for a reliquary. The ones I've seen I think just have a little speck of cloth from a Saint's garment. As a sweetheart keepsake, the cloth seems kind of weird, but to each their own!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wonder whether there was originally something small and flat inside the folded cloth? I know that was what you were suggesting when asking whether it was a reliquary. Perhaps something else, though?

7. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I also have one like this but with tiny metal pages inside, I assumed for adhering photos. Very interesting!

Vintage Maven, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

If I may may weigh in on this as well. I am thinking this is a French catholic religious sacred heart style book pendant possibly France, or Quebec. Although, I have seen some Italian design similar. Originally inside, it may have come with the small religious cards (prayer/saint cards) or photos. The range of this one could be early to mid 20th century, I know that’s a big range, I’d like to narrow that down, but I’m thinking the latter. But, I know for certain I’ve seen one vaguely similar somewhere, I just can’t recall where. I may try to further research this. I have not seen one with cloth folded inside as such, although this one still can represent a form of piety, the cloth would be a very odd scapular indeed. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    johnnycb09, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  9. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for all the great information.

Vintage Maven and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted