Featured Regency Sewing Box.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Poisonivy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Yesterday I bought this fabulous Regency sewing box C.1790-1810. IMG_2608.jpeg IMG_2609.jpeg
    The fittings are all original, absolutely wonderful.................
    BUT.....

The dealer I bought it off pays someone to rip out the original insides of all her boxes and replace it with modern materials.
    Yes it's over 200 years old and would have been worn inside but it would have stayed original.
    The second pic shows the horrible work that's been done to it and of course I'll have to rip it all out and put it back to how it should look and with antique materials.

2. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Unusual to have an English shape and lock but with almost French metal fittings, do they look original to the box?

3. Poisonivy

Yes they do look totally original, the feet I'm not 100% about but I think they are typical for a box of that era.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, and a perfect project. I am sure you will make it look original and beautiful again.
    Whatever is she thinking?:jawdrop: This just looks painful.:( But you will solve that.:)

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Uh! The seller thought it was better to "renovate" the interior for selling... BAD! This ruffled fabric on the lid is the worst part:yuck:
    I'm impatient to see this beauty after your restoration:woot:

Poisonivy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Poisonivy

It is and so hard to find too :)

I really can't imagine why anyone would do that unless it's for more money ...... it's a nightmare under the lid.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Poisonivy

It's all horrible isn't it ....
    I'll post pics after I've done it :)

Houseful, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Poisonivy

kyratango likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That material on the lid reminds me of the interior of a casket. :(:(

I was just wondering. Do you keep all the boxes you restore or do you find new forever homes for them? :happy:

11. Poisonivy

It's leather though :)

I keep them, they're all a labour of love.......
    I'm fast running out of space though :eek:

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That dealer wants smacking hard. Lovely box, that top and shape looks dead right for the date. I'm not convinced on that round handle being original, I suspect its feetses have been regilded too. Got the key?

13. Poisonivy

She does you're right......
    The handle matches handles on the sides exactly and now that I've stripped it I can see the split pins on the side handles and the bottom parts go under the wooden base so unless the base was changed and I don't think it has then the handles must be original.
    The feet are a bit brighter than I like so I'm going to take them down with patina paste.
    And yes, I have the key :)

Oh and the pin that holds the drawer in is there too.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

When all else fails, send it to Kyra. Commission one of her famous "Kyra-tisation" restorations and you can't go wrong.

kyratango and Poisonivy like this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Ghopper,
    You should see some of the restorations that poisonivy does. She is also an expert.
    greg

16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd love to. Two restoration experts on one board!

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Poisonivy like this.
  17. Poisonivy

Thank you Greg....
    I'm not sure I'm an expert but I try :)

Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks for the tribute to my kyratisations, Ghopper!:joyful:
    That work is above my skills:facepalm: Poisonivy is a master for those restorations:woot:

19. Poisonivy

Thank you for that, it's so nice to know that members like to see what I've done :)

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. Poisonivy

Here is the sweetest Regency box I bought recently, I LOVE the shape.
    It had been stripped out and papered in some green paper except for inside the lid, the velvet in there is original, the pink paper in the lid is original too and great it was still there because I could match it up.
    Hubby cut all the pieces of wood I needed, all cut from Victorian backing board I saved from frames.
    The lock was out but easy to put back.
    I covered all the pieces with paper before painting just like the Georgians did.
    The fabric is Victorian, I dyed it to match (It's impossible to find any Regency fabric) and there it is :) IMG_2473.jpeg IMG_2475.jpeg IMG_2474.jpeg IMG_2488.jpeg IMG_2489.jpeg IMG_2487.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    bluumz, Houseful, 808 raver and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted