Featured Reed & Barton Sterling Flatware Complete Set

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 28, 2018.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Greetings again to everyone on the forum. I can only describe today as an amazing day, and I am grateful for being able to share with you all. I don't even really know where to begin to describe this. What I got today wasn't a thrift store purchase, but a purchase from an individual buyer. It was one of those purchases that gives you goose bumps after the deal is done. I don't want to say the price I paid, but it was a modest amount compared to the value I think this set has (when I think of value, I think of money but also aesthetic value). This one totally took me by surprise.

It's a complete 65 piece set of Reed & Barton Emperor Flatware with case. They are in great condition and likely only pulled out for special occasions by the original user. My estimate of silver is approximately 2300 grams.

IMG_3428.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3431.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY nice!!!!! Do you know the pattern name??

judy likes this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

!!

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I think it's Emperor or New Emperor?

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Aquitaine

DUH....if I'd read the bottom of your post completely, I should/would have seen that!!!! Thanks!!!! That's exactly what Replacements.com says it is too!!!

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They also made this pattern in silverplate (which may have been more popular in 1969, because Replacements seems to be the only site that shows it in sterling.)

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I noticed that also. I actually contacted replacements to see what they would offer me for the set. It's good to know what I could get for it from them, but I think i'll go the retail route eventually. I don't see many of the full sets for sale, atleast not compared to other patterns, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

I went there last after coming up dry. Even checked the Reed & Barton brochure I have from about 1977 when one of my sisters was planning her wedding - and it wasn't listed there either.

judy likes this.
  9. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

The label on the box behind the knives may tell you something.

judy likes this.
  10. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Wow, another home run, how do you do it? Lol

judy likes this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks Catlovr, this one wasn't through a thrift store, but i will tell you how I do it for the thrift stores... #1: I'm in a location of the country that seems to have a bit more of these things, #2: I go to a LOT of stores (i'm probably visiting a minimum of four stores a day, but I'm buying lots of other stuff) and #3 the most important reason is sheer LUCK of being at the right place at the right time. This purchase was definitely on the luck side, I bought something else from the guy and by sheer chance he wanted to see if I was interested in the flatware set.

cxgirl, Aquitaine, judy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Replacement? Their price is high. I just like to attend antique shows and sometimes can get good bargain for nice pieces or sets.

judy likes this.
  13. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

BTW, is Francis I is the most famous flat set to reed barton?
    Just like the repousse to kirk & son ; Chrysanthemum to Tiffany, etc...

judy likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

I agree that their prices seem quite high compared to ebay, etc. But Mr. Nate was talking to them about what they would pay him for the set.

As for Francis I, I don't have statistics about "famous," but it was produced for a very long time, which means there was a substantial market for it. Whether it is sought after now, beyond other patterns, I don't know.

MrNate, judy and Asian Fever like this.
  15. Aquitaine

So, you ARE out there constantly AND ON the HUNT.....and that's a GREAT way to be SUCCESSFUL!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!! Your plan seems like a great one and IS working for you!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::):):)

MrNate and judy like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great score Mr. Nate:)

MrNate and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted