Red Velvet Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kp6703, May 21, 2015.

1. Kp6703

Kp6703 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Can anyone give me some advice on what I've inherited? It was my great grandmother's. Handed down to her daughter who was a seamstress. She reupholstered it in crushed red velvet. The back is high. My great grandmother was mid 80's when she passed in 1980. Any help would be appreciated.
    From my search it doesn't seem to be a slipper chair.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Pretty! I'd say 1940's (without seeing the legs and knowing how it was originally upholstered). When they have the high button back, no arms and a skirt, most people just refer to them as a boudoir chair.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much to this. I think 40s-50s is right. In this red velvet, I might call it a bordello chair rather than a boudoir chair ......:woot:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup....looks like it came straight out of a cat house !!

Kp6703 likes this.
  5. Kp6703

Kp6703 New Member

Lol you should see it at Christmas near a white tree dressed in Victorian! Any idea on worth, if I were to part with it? Thank you.

6. komokwa

Personally I have no idea what it could be worth, so it's more of a " what it's worth to you".
    I would think though that it would be worth more in South Carolina , than say..Seattle, due to it's style.

That's not much to go on, but maybe others will have a better insight.:)

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would love to see it at Christmas next to a white Victorian tree. I think you should keep it.

I don't think value is too great. It has sort of a "cool, funky" appeal with all of that red, but it sort of contains a mix of styles as has been stated. Fussy boudoir shape/hot velvet red.

Just my opinion, if I saw this at an antique store or resale spot where I live, I might expect to see $50-$75.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Call it Hollywood Regency instead of High Class Whorehouse and you could get double that in Cali.(LOL) My cats would love it, but somehow I don't think it deserves to end up as a fancy scratching post and nap spot.

9. Kp6703

Kp6703 New Member

It's dressed in some heavy duty antique crushed red velvet, many yards. I've seen chairs at consignment shops but never anything as ornate as this, or would that be gawdy? Lol it's actually very beautiful in the right setting.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. komokwa

it looks comfy..

Draft saved Draft deleted