Rectangle basket - Happy new year

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Grandmasattic, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

This basket stands out to me as one of my nicer ones. I would like to learn more about it. She measures 12x12x9 PXL_20230101_023332938.jpg PXL_20230101_023342091.jpg PXL_20230101_023336383.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  2. Grandmasattic

I believe this basket to be from south carolina and suspect it of being made from Oak. Does that seem right?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know of none with those wicker strips and cord braided rim.........:sorry::sorry::sorry:

Grandmasattic likes this.
  4. Grandmasattic

Thank you for the response! I guess this one shall remain a mystery. It definitely feels like an old one, and the style is fairly unique too. I just spotted some damage on it I had previously missed so even if it were identified it's future was looking bleak.

5. Grandmasattic

What would you call a handle that looks like that Komokwa?

6. komokwa

I don't know of a name for it.....:(

7. komokwa

8. komokwa

[​IMG]

u see it on wicker baskets...

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

This basket is nicely made, but it does not look like a traditional oak splint basket to me.

It is not always easy to tell from photos, but the material looks like it might be commercial split and stained rattan, particularly if some of the weavers are half round in cross section. The small round weavers would also be more indicative of rattan than oak. Also called cane, or reed, rattan is a product of a variety of related climbing palms, native to southeast Asia.

The "splints" on your basket are very even in width, and show fine, even striations which are features characteristic of split rattan. The breaks at the bends of some splints also look more fibrous than wood splints. If you can find a cross section to look at with a magnifier, you might be able to see the porous nature of rattan:

upload_2023-1-1_10-58-16.jpeg

A wood splint such as ash or oak has a smoother surface (although some grain and scrapes can be seen, it tends to be more irregular). In cross section, it has a denser structure.

The cordage on the rim looks like what is called Hong Kong sea grass cordage, which is also an imported material.

Although rattan has been imported for use in western basketry and furniture since the mid 19th century, it is very difficult to say where a rattan basket in this style would have been made. And while your basket has some stains on the bottom, there are not many obvious signs of age or long use.

The handle would be described as wrapped, with a simple over-under decoration.

10. Grandmasattic

Wow thank you so much!! I learned a lot from this

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted