Really weird candle sconce

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ownedbybear, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

This thing is seriously strange and I'd welcome opinions. I'd think late 19th, but why all the knobs and bits? And the base has fixing holes - into what?

J28A.jpg J28D.jpg J28C.jpg J28B.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with late 19th.
    Those globes reflect the light. (If they are polished.:angelic:) The 'door knob thingies', I don't know.
    It looks like a wall sconce, but the candles would fall out if it were fixed to a wall.:confused::hilarious:

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like a marriage of different things...

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This looks like a sloppy weld:
    J28B.jpg

Is it all the way around?

If so, maybe it is a wall sconce and the top section should be at a right angle to it's current position. As in broken and repaired oddly?

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing a 'married' piece. That top bit does not seem to match and looks soldered on. We are locksmiths. The "doorknobs" actually look like cabinet product_1___1_52_11.jpeg s-l300.jpeg knobs that were soldered on as well. The base looks like an antique door escutcheon plate that was repurposed with bits of other things.

Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten the reflecting globe thing, thanks aj.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a marriage. All of the components fit absolutely perfectly: screw sizes and lengths match properly. The top bit is screwed on, not soldered as are the knobs, knops and candleholders. It's actually really well made. And where the "stand" fits the base is a very well done hinge. Very odd.

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first quirky Victorian item, they got up to the weirdest things.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Albert11

Albert11 New Member

It really looks weird. And I would say it's from the 19th century. I know I saw a similar candle holder a few years ago when I was on vacation at a hotel, and the candles looked really nice in that candle holder.

Darkwing Manor, Ownedbybear and judy like this.
  9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It looks like a marriage to me too.. too many different styles put together.