REAL POLLOCK PAINTING?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 31, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I was offered a Pollock painting (on board) - for $800!
    I have only spoken with the seller over the phone because I couldn't tell if it was the real thing or not if I saw it in person. But I did ask him to send me pics so I could post them here & get the forum's opinion.
    He said it measures about 18" x 22"
    The glare is because it's behind glass.
    Thanks
    PS - Please don't call me an idiot! I am asking your opinion so I know if it's worth moving forward to maybe having an appraiser look at it - but I don't want to have to pay for that if it's an obvious forgery
    Thanks again all. :)
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING POLLOCK CRAIGSLIST 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING POLLOCK CRAIGSLIST 2AA.jpg

Mugzinnys and cxgirl like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Does the seller KNOW its a "Pollock" ? If they know enough to know who he is,then they should also know enough to know that its worth FAR more than $800. Id take a hard pass,but then again,stranger things have happened.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Isn't this "Pollock" way too small to be real? He dripped liquid paint onto canvas spread out on the floor.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In NO way would you be an idiot!!!! You are asking advise!! Idiots don't do that!!!
    After reading AJ's links and what Johnnycb had to say, I still totally agree.......WHY would someone sell a painting that, IF real, is worth FAR more money......just doesn't add up to me.....tempting as it may be, I would keep my $$ in my wallet for another find with more potential!!!!

judy, aaroncab, Fid and 3 others like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Good advice all around .. Joy.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's most likely a fake. The seller probably had it looked at by someone and knows it's a fake if he's offering it for 800.00 also if you go on ebay and type in "pollock painting" there are a whole bunch of paintings that are done by other artist that look like a genuine pollock painting. I wouldn't mess with it.

judy, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Wouldn't it be cool if it was real....you'd be set for life !

upload_2018-7-31_13-2-56.jpeg

9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

He said he's selling it (along with other high end works (Dali drawing, etc) for his uncle who returned to the DR (Dominican Republic) - remember this is Miami so stranger things have happened, but I can't afford a $800 gamble when the odds are higher than a slot machine!

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, since every one is trying to get out of the DR........I don't care much for that guys story !!

judy, Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

SO many issues w/ purported Dali's.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might want to look up a documentary called "Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock", about a woman in much the same situation as you.

You could always put it out there for $35 million and see if there's any takers.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

true. I have one in the washhouse.

judy, anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kind of an off the wall idea -- you could offer to sell it for him, taking a 20% commission.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Great reading AJ. The purchase of a Pollock by the National Gallery of Australia (Blue Poles) in 1973 was a huge controversy and still generates comment today. It's amazing to think his work is still creating headlines so many years after his passing, but unfortunately for the wrong reasons. :(

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

OMG NO NO NO...Did I say NOOOOOO.

Too fluid, not tight enough, etc. etc. etc. The “dance” is wrong.
    BTW Pollock did do smaller paintings. I grew up with a beauty-not mine-it belonged to a relative and was a magnificent 1949 work on paper.

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I remember the "Blue Poles" rhubarb, and I'm in Canada. It made the news. Isn't it (wasn't it?) in the Sydney Opera House?

The nearest Pollocks to me (at least so far as I know) are in the Knox Albright in Buffalo. Those are very large. It's been decades since I was there, but they made a lasting impression.

Picasso still raises a fuss, and the cubist period was 100 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I will always be fascinated by Pollock and spend time close to monthly looking at the work since they’re in the permanent collection of two institutions in my city but it was amazing growing up with one in the dining room of a close relative. It was sold in the 90s.

Out of curiosity, I did check out ebay listings and that was quite an education. There’s one that actually looks like him to me but who knows and I can’t imagine anyone spending 7 figures for a piece that couldn’t be authenticated.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

3 nice article AJ

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted