Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jack B, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Jack B

Jack B New Member

2. Jack B

Jack B New Member

Sorry my computer stopped working and i accidentally posted this incomplete...

The items I were referring to can be seen via this link:
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/157382229_a-collection-of-seven-ancient-articles

I'm suspicious as they lack any real provenance or proof of authenticity, seem to have a low interest as well as very little information and detailed photographs about each piece, which I have emailed about and am awaiting response

I know it is probably impossible to figure this out with the images supplied on the website but any gut feelings from professionals would be appreciated as I am too new to this to do this accurately, however I have been educating myself as much as possible using various websites and its making me question these even more, as pieces of that size and apparent quality would surely have more interest among fellow antiquity enthusiasts.

Thanks, Jack :)

Bronwen likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch the sellers don't know either. I can sometimes figure it out in person, but wouldn't risk money on my identification.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  4. Jack B

Jack B New Member

Yeah that was my thought exactly, hopefully if the sellers reply to my enquiry and send some more detailed images and any information I could be more certain

Bronwen likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I've been to Egypt. You can buy aged pieces in tourist places. The photos are awful, so you can't research them. I would steer clear.

Any Jewelry and Jack B like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Jack, and don't look at that auction page again.
    There will be other chances, real items from reputable dealers who know their 'stuff'.

Jack B likes this.
  7. Jack B

Jack B New Member

Thanks :) I've been obsessed with the ancient world since i was seven, and have recently been taking courses in ancient Greek and Latin, as well as teaching myself Egyptian hieroglyphs (probably the hardest thing I've ever done). its a work in progress but its great to be around like-minded people :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Jack B likes this.
  9. Jack B

Jack B New Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted