Featured Ratcliffe or Rathbone?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Dec 21, 2017.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

So we are busy researching the blue and white lots from our Dec 6th auction buys. The cobalt blue and white items at the back have an R inside the sunburst, which Godden attributes to William Ratcliffe (ref 3200).

And the cups and saucers to front with the two temples/Broseley pattern have the R under the crown and squiggles which I cannot find but have some similarity to the sunburst mark

Then I see Samuel & John Rathbone items for sale with the R sunburst mark and think they have it wrong but for more than one seller to be mistaken....?

The China Cupboard suggests these marks belong to S & J Rathbone and Potteries org agrees with Rathbones for the R sunburst mark.

Which leaves us seeking clarification and buying Rathbone China Manufacturers Tunstall, Staffordshire 1808 to 1843 by Ian Harvey, cool cost £98.50! That may provide post Christmas certainty, but at a price!

Here are the items and backstamps:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Online errors are self propagating.

These could be the same manufacturer, but just as easily may not be.

I don't know that Godden is error free - or any other source. Godden does have a habit of showing a couple of marks and then saying "and many more".

cxgirl and rhiwfield like this.
  3. rhiwfield

Just looked through Berthouds teapots. R sunburst stated as S and J Rathbone. Looks like Godden had a proofreading error.

4. rhiwfield

Ian Harvey's book arrived.

R in sunburst is Rathbone

Crown and leaves over R also Rathbone, but only found on Broseley pattern tea ware

That's enough for me to list with firm attribution :)

dgbjwc and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted