Rare? Herend Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CassandraMae, Jun 22, 2021.

1. CassandraMae

CassandraMae New Member

Hello,

I found this Herend vase at a local thrift store in late 2019. I haven't found another online anywhere. After emailing Herend directly, they told me it was painted in 1990s, how to read the code, and that their estimated retail price today is $785. I'm not wanting to keep this piece in my collection, but I am having a difficult time deciding on pricing since it just doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on line. Any information would be great! Thank you!

DizzyDaff and ulilwitch like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

estimated retail price today is $785.

so, u think it's worth a lot more because u can't find another on the web after days of searching ?

OK, then....... start your price higher,,,, and mention that the one you have is very rare because u can't find another...!!!

good luck,,

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This is what I would do. First, throw out the manufacturer's estimate of the retail price. They have a vested interest in a high price. Measure the vase and look for vases on line (mainly ebay) of the same height and shape. See what they are selling for and base your price on that. The reason you're likely not seeing any exact examples of this vase is that it is too new. The people who own one are not finished with it yet so none are for sale. Start a little high, you can always come down in price, but seldom can you go up. I always think of 3 prices, 1. what is the least I will accept, 2. what price would I be very happy with, and 3. the highest price (in your case $785), and try to figure from there what to sell it for.

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Good advice Ola.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Herend didn't by any chance tell you the name of the pattern? Or is it considered Giftware? Much giftware is made in limited quantity and sold until it is gone - like for holidays or Mother's Day etc. It's very pretty.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ah Ha! Found the pattern name in the backstamp, Apponyi Blue or Chinese Bouquet.

I found an example of a different vase in the same pattern on Ebay that was 14" high and sold for less than $350 (the seller took an offer). It is really nice and no dis intended, but a lot nicer than your rather plain vase. Just MHO. So I think your value is south of $350. If selling on EB, you could do what that seller did and put the vase on for a price with best offer option.

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ok, last post, Chinese Bouquet is a huge line for Herend and comes in several different colors. With the pattern name you can find several examples of vases that have sold or are for sale.

And Welcome to the board Cassandra! Thanks for the post, I learned how to read Herend backstamps because of it and that's always good. I love Herend pieces but seldom see them around here in the secondary market.

bercrystal and PortableTreasures like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@ola402 - Is this the vase you found?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154236444721?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc?_trkparms=itm:154236444721

By the looks of it, they accepted an offer of $300 with free shipping on 4/13. However, there must have been a problem because they relisted the vase but ended it on 4/20 "because the item was no longer available". :confused::confused::confused:

Hello @CassandraMae & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

It is a pretty vase but just as an FYI -

this one sold for $99 with $12 shipping on 3/3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233904660474?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc?_trkparms=itm:233904660474

I did not see where you list a size on your vase but the one above was 8 3/4" tall.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, Peggy, that was the vase I saw. I think it's very pretty. Didn't see the relist.

bercrystal likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

We will never know exactly what happened but it is possible that the original buyer may have finally resurfaced & bought the vase.

Draft saved Draft deleted