Featured Raku vase - Anyone read a Japanese signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Apr 16, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This little vase appears to be signed in Japanese. The signature is hard to read. If you look at it head-on, it appears red. If you look at it at an angle, it looks metallic. Fortunately, I was able to find a virtually identical vase on a Danish site with a much clearer signature (last picture). Can anyone decipher this?

thriftpot28.jpg thriftpot28a.jpg thriftpot28b.jpg thriftpot28c.jpg

2. verybrad

I am now finding others. Maybe Kitamura Takashi. No one seems to be calling this Raku but, rather, Kutani. :confused:

Any Jewelry and jeasta like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The original Japanese Raku is glazed and the shapes are irregular. Your vase is too perfect to be Raku.;)

verybrad likes this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Your vase and the one Marote found seem to be near twins. Guess that means more research about Kitamura Takashi's work. The one in Marote's link sold for 60 Euros, so maybe not a lot of moola, but nothing to sneeze at either. I like it!

verybrad, Any Jewelry and Marote like this.
  6. verybrad

Have now found several of these by searching Kitamura Takashi. Some have the same signature as mine. Wish there was someone who could decipher the Japanese to confirm. I only paid a couple bucks for this so it looks like I did fine, regardless of who made it.

Draft saved Draft deleted