Featured Rain didn’t stop play- Car boot finds

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jul 9, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a complete bust, I didn’t spend a penny apart from
    my £1 entry fee!
    Today was a little better…..
    Yellow glass beads
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    With an amazing cadmium (?) glow!
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    Czech buckle with mirror glass
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    I don’t normally buy modern costume but I thought this was very nice. It’s a Fuchia flower set of brooch, earrings and necklace from The Royal Horticultural Society by Fish and Crown Fine Enamels. Each flower has dangly bits that move.
    Oh, and a sweet Ruby silver ring.
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    One for @Ownedbybear, a lovely evening bag with iridescent beads. In need of some restoration as the silk lining is shot to pieces. It comes with its own little purse too. Any ideas on age welcome!
    IMG_0623.jpeg IMG_0622.jpeg IMG_0621.jpeg IMG_0620.jpeg
    I love this little book, (great subject matter and 1880 first edition) but just read that inscription :hilarious::vamp:
    IMG_0610.jpeg IMG_0609.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Couldn't write that in American public schools now. You'd be in six kinds of trouble! Love that fuschia set; I'd have nabbed it too.

IvaPan, Dessert58, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Cool but a tad eerie inscription. I'd like to read the book. I pick up modern enamel jewelry, too. Pretty set.

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Let's just hope you didn't get it 'at a steal'

Because the curse rules still very much apply if not clearly defined within by the witch who wrote that !

:playful::)

5. charlie cheswick

Don't know about you ksw, but I'm finding the car boot sales a bit more disappointing than years before ?

I did score over 2 grand on a £25 poster lot

But apart from that it's been hard going

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That was a nice bunch of posters Charlie.KS-The inscription in your book reminds me of something Lovecraft or M.R. James would've written.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One day chicken, next day feathers as my late dad put it. We only have outdoor sales of any sort for maybe 3 months of the year here. It kind of shuts down in the heat and definitely goes away in cold weather.

8. charlie cheswick

Ooo I love an M r James ghost story for christmas

kyratango likes this.
  9. bosko69

Eve-Exactly the same with us in Oregon.We probably get the same amount of rain as the UK,but for some reason the antique/boot/flea mkt folks here cower in their houses in the winter.
    Everybody else's hiking,biking,skiing,etc in the rain-can't figure it ?

10. bosko69

Charlie-M.R. James is a true master.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

Scariest thing I've ever seen in a film adaptation was the original susan hill the woman in black (not the modern version)

When he sees the ghost over the tombstone

Absolute chills

12. charlie cheswick

13. charlie cheswick

The signalman with denholm elliott is My favourite but you can't beat the original whistle and I'll come to you with Michael hordern

14. bosko69

'Whistle & I'll Come' is an extraordinary short piece of film making,as is the orig 'Woman In White'. Weren't those both UK broadcasts ?
    I was on an M.R. James discussion site and found those-good lord,they are extraordinarily chilling.
    There was a UK horror anthology series-'Mystery & Imagination' 1966-1970.
    Actors appearing-Denholm Elliot,Ian Holm,Jack Hawkins,solid cast.Teleplays based on Algergon Blackwood,James,Sheridan Le Fanu,Wilde,etc.
    I recall one episode,'Lost Hearts' -a very freaky and dark tale in any era.
    The original 'The Haunting' by Robert Wise is very good,as is surprisingly enough the 2018 'Haunting of Hill House' by Mike Flanagan.Both of course are based on Shirley Jackson's novel.I find Stephen King good fun,but Jackson writes the pants off him.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Great finds!! Love that purse and newer set

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Definitely a warning to a light fingered person!
    Fortunately I honestly paid my £2 so my conscience is clear when I am at the pearly gates:angelic:
    Now, to hope that He doesn’t ask any other tricky questions when I get there :nailbiting:
    Definitely! Saturday’s car boot sale I’d have ordered a very large skip for!
    The few decent bits are swiped up so quickly, if 1000+ people swoop in you only get time to look at a few tables before it’s all gone. Mind you, I found that Arts and Crafts oak pot right at the end and no one else had noticed it.
    I think people are being a bit cannier about research too.
    The huge car boot sales seem to be the worst as that’s where all the resellers go to buy. I often find more at a little local car boot with fewer sellers.

Figtree3, IvaPan, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I did quite well over the weekend, despite the rain. More private sellers than usual.

Bag looks , hm, early twentieth. Very nice.

KSW, IvaPan, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  18. charlie cheswick

A dealer friend of mine enlightened me to the fact that you can pay the £8 sellers fee, get in early and not have to worry about elbows, queuing and people in mobility scooters.

Don't know why I didn't think of that before, but its definitely a thing that happens

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One of my car boots does something similar, you pay four quid to get in with the sellers.

I get in free at one of mine!

Scary. The Stone Tapes. And also a thing with Mary Ure which I need to remind myself the name of.

Figtree3, KSW and charlie cheswick like this.
  20. charlie cheswick

Haven't heard of that one obb, looks like the type I like

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted