Railroad Lantern?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by NewEngland, Sep 26, 2018.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wondering if this is a railroad lantern? It was a kerosene lamp originally, but it was electrified many years ago. It's 17" high and stamped 'Pat'd July 8, 1917' on the top ring, with no other marks. The front panel flips up to expose a red glass panel. The two sides have amber glass panels and the back has a wire handle. I haven't found another one similar to this online.
    RailroadlanternLighted-1.JPG Thanks.

judy likes this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I thought railroad lantern lenses were usually round as round lenses were more directional and the light could be seen at a farther distance (at least on the stationary ones - not the smaller signaling lanterns that were swung in different directions to signal the train operators.. Don't really know what this could have been used for

[​IMG]

STOP

Stop signal. Lantern swung back and forth across tracks.
    NOTE: Any object waved violently by anyone on or near the track is a signal to stop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PROCEED

Proceed or go signal. Lantern raised up and down, vertically. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BACK

Back signal. Lantern swung vertically in a circle at half-arm's length across the track. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

REDUCE SPEED

Reduce speed, or slow down signal. Lantern is held out to the side, at arm's length. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

APPLY BRAKES

Apply brakes signal. Lantern is swung horizontally above the head. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RELEASE BRAKES

Release brakes signal. Lantern is held at arm's length above the head. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRAIN HAS PARTED

Train has parted or come loose signal. Lantern is swung vertically in a circle at arm's length across the tracks.
    NOTE: While modern trains have made this signal obsolete, it was a very serious signal in its time. It meant part of the train was missing or disconnected and could be coasting into the rail yard and cause a collision/wreck.

[​IMG]

bluumz, Fid, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think the cast-in marks you see only apply to the three-ring hardware thingie that appears welded on to the fantasy lantern. Just my opinion. Never seen a RR lantern like that.

4. NewEngland

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I too thought it a fantasy piece ! Always learning on here. :)

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE demos!!!!!:):):):singing:

7. NewEngland

My knowledge base has grown a lot since joining this forum. Every day, something new to learn! Thanks to everyone.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ditto above!!!!!

NewEngland likes this.