Questions on Vintage French (Rousselet?) & Unsigned Jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Jul 2, 2024 at 5:13 PM.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

FranceJewelry.jpg
    I'm being lazy and posting one of my trays of vintage jewelry, but I'm mainly interested if anyone can tell me which pieces are or could be Louis Rousselet. If you want to see other photos of individual pieces, let me know. Below are brief descriptions showing which are signed, type of clasp, beads, and whether strung on chain or cord. Any comments and opinions are appreciated.

1. Unsigned black glass brooch with pink and blue glass beads, tube clasp (saw a similar one on 1stDibs attributed to Rousselet with a brass backing--not black glass -- https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/bro...ge-old-brooch-vintage-from-50s/id-v_21506622/).
    2. Unsigned necklace with fancy barrel clasp, various glass beads, brass bead caps, brass box chain sections.
    3. Necklace signed Made in France, strung on cord w/ fancy barrel clasp, carved yellow beads tests as bakelite, carved pinkish beads look/sound like some type of plastic (galalith?).
    4. Necklace signed Made in France, strung on chain w/ roundish barrel clasp, pink and blue glass beads, fancy gilded metal beads, brass spacer beads.
    5. Necklace signed Made in France, w/ brass clasp, green glass faceted cabochons, crackle glass cabochons with flaking blue coating, glass dangle beads.
    6. Bracelet signed Made in France with rhinestones and Japanned metal.
    7. Unsigned necklace strung on chain w/ brass barrel clasp, wood bell-shaped beads and various plastic/galalith? beads.
    8. Unsigned necklace strung on chain with green galalith? beads (previously posted here--definitely not Jakob Bengel).
    9. Unsigned necklace strung on chain w/ brass barrel clasp and orange galalith? beads.
    10. Unsigned necklace w/ old-style spring ring clasp, salmon glass beads, silvertone metal.

Hinarushi and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know Rousellet if I tripped on it, but others will be along. It wasn't sold in the USA and we don't see much of it, unless it came over in someone's suitcase.

Joan likes this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm kind of amazed that I've found any pieces signed Made in France considering I live in Rural Wisconsin (but close to a large metropolitan area). I also have one or two sterling pieces made in France, and maybe others that I've forgotten about. I've found all of them within 25-100 miles of my home at estate sales and thrift stores over the past 25 years.

Dessert58 and Bronwen like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Joan likes this.
  5. evelyb30

I used to hit a lot of Israeli jewelry thanks to a big Jewish population. It's pretty well gone in the wild now. Never did get much European jewelry at all.

Joan likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

3 and 10 maybe. There’s a really good Rousselet Facebook group, who also know other French makers.

Joan likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great group. Outstanding photos and descriptions. Like Evelyn.b, French pieces do not often show up where I live, so I'm not a great person to ID Rousselet jewelry. I also heard of a FB page, could be a resource.

I can say that #3 is absolutely to die for. So unusual!! These all appear to be very nice quality and desirable no matter who the maker. You have such a good eye.

Joan likes this.
  8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Aquitaine. The 1st Dibs example almost looks the same but doesn't have the black glass background. The seller is in France, so would probably be a more reliable source for Rousselet jewelry than a US seller.

9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, OBB. I closed my FB account, but maybe I'll have to re-open it.

10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lucille. I especially like #3 also--the clasp is a little work of art in itself. I wish the necklace was longer, though--it's choker length.

11. evelyb30

The odd part is I'd bet decent money that the peachy molded beads on necklace 3 were Japanese exports. If they're plastic anyway. If they're glass, they could be anyhthing. The yellow ones and the carved ones on #7 could be galaith or bakelite.

Joan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted