Questions on Goldi Kaplan & Other Vintage Rosaries

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I have a sterling Goldi Kaplan (Sweden) rosary and another one that's almost identical, but has a different mark on the back. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me who the maker is of the other rosary and why would two almost identical crucifixes have two different makers--does each maker cast from standard molds available to others and then put their own mark on it?
    GoldiKaplanRosary-1.jpg GoldiKaplanRosary-2.jpg

I also have a coral rosary that is unmarked (the cross and medal/medallion didn't test as silver). Does anyone know if there is a name for the coral rosary? I'm not Catholic, so I'm not knowledgeable about the different types of rosaries, symbols, and motifs, and didn't find a similar cross online.
    CoralRosary-2.jpg

Last question, the design on the coral rosary's center medallion is somewhat similar to the mark on the back of the "non-Goldi-Kaplan" rosary. Does anyone know what the symbols mean?
    CoralRosary-3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The symbol on the left, in the heart shape, is the Mary monogram, a symbol of the Virgin Mary.
    The other one seems to be a maker's mark.

There is no specific name for a coral rosary. I do know that in some cultures it is used by young girls, to be changed to garnets when she is married.
    It is beautiful, with nice antique coral.
    The elegant cross has a halo to signify the presence of the sanctity of Christ.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, RachelW and 3 others like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Many thanks again, AJ. Very helpful to know some of the proper terms and customs.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted