Featured Questions on Damaged Nantucket "Double Lollipop" Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Joan, Aug 21, 2024.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

NantucketAntiqueLollipopBasket-1.jpg NantucketAntiqueLollipopBasket-2.jpg NantucketAntiqueLollipopBasket-3.jpg NantucketAntiqueLollipopBasket-4.jpg NantucketAntiqueLollipopBasket-5.jpg

I bought this basket at Goodwill yesterday for $3.99. While in the store, I used Google Lens and the first image was a Nantucket double lollipop basket—the article by Kovels (The Columbus Dispatch, June 19 2019) said it was offered for sale with an estimated value of $40,000-$60,000 but didn’t sell. So I decided to buy the basket in spite of the damage and do more research at home.

I did find other similar baskets online—one with minor damage and estimated auction value of $2,000-$3,000 (basket didn’t sell). Another with more damage (but handle intact) estimated at $10 - $100,000 that sold but amount not shown.

I also searched Antiquers and found Lucille.b’s 2019 post https://www.antiquers.com/threads/basket-id-urgent-thanks.36859/#post-583139. Bev aka thelmasstuff included a link to the Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum, so I sent an email yesterday with photos, but haven’t received a reply yet. The museum's online photos didn't include a basket like mine.

In the meantime, I’m wondering if anyone here has knowledge of this type of basket. (1) Is it a Nantucket basket circa early-1900s? (2) Is it rare? (3) Does the fact that mine has the initials (AMT) on the bottom add value even with all the damage? (4) If I list it on eBay, can anyone suggest a starting auction price? Is $200-300 too high? I didn’t find any others like this listed or sold on eBay. I appreciate any help and information.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for 4 bucks I'd buy it just to have it....
    I think 300 is a good start.........

3. komokwa

4. komokwa

5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

the name don't hurt either,,,,,,,,,,,,!!

pearlsnblume, Joan and mirana like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That's a real beauty.

Joan and Potteryplease like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just re-read my post you linked... (and just "liked" a few comments that I missed at the time during that world-wind move). Still have my basket, BTW. Held cat toys for years.

Joan, this basket you found is absolutely stunning. Speechless! Keep us posted on what you find out!!

Figtree3, Joan and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lucille. I'll let you know if/when I get a response from my emails. I really like your basket too and glad to hear it arrived safely to your home and you still have it.

I have my basket in a spot where I can see it when I'm watching TV and I'm starting to feel like I may not want to sell it....unless maybe someone tells me it's worth $1,000. But knowing how my mind works, I may think I should wait because it might be worth even more in 5 years. On the other hand, I've done that with other things only to find out their values are much less today. Then again, I sold things a few years ago that I wish I'd have held onto because they sell for a lot more now.

10. komokwa

u r not alone in that......;)

11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It's a great basket with beautiful age and details to it. I can see why you'd want to keep it! I think we've probably all bought things to sell that we end up loving once we find out more and spend time with them. No problem with that as long as your enjoyment outweighs the price point!

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Too true-'cash flow' versus 'knick-knack' love.

Joan, Potteryplease and mirana like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Oooh I have some Big Love for some very pricey things in my collection. Everybody's price is different and I don't judge if it's very high. :D Love's price shouldn't be low anyway.

NanaB, Joan and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted