Questions about Phoenix glass oil lamp in rough condition

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by northernridge, Apr 15, 2016.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

I wonder if it is worth trying to sell this. Here is the lamp, minus its tall chimney.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the name on the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    I have several concerns. The burner is bent.
    [​IMG]
    The decoration appears damaged.
    [​IMG]
    There appear to be some stains on the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    And it wobbles on its base. (Can't show that in a photo!) I am such a stickler for condition. Is there any reason to try to sell this anyway? Finally, if I do, do I have to include the very tall glass chimney?

As always, many thanks.

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Tighten the nut on the bottom, just snug it, don't tighten the heck out of it. If it doesn't turn then put some penetrating oil on it and let it soak in.

People will buy it "as is" - maybe 30-40$ range. I'd just put a new burner on it if you can't straighten the old one, add a chimney, and have a globe painted for it and keep it. I have a hard time selling anything - LOL!

3. northernridge

I appreciate that advice. It does not belong to me, so I will either sell it as is, or return to the owner.

Do you suppose I can get $40 as is, and without the chimney?

4. northernridge

Oh, and the number opposite the maker name—887—might that be a patent number?

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Like Rayo advised, by tighten the nut screw at the bottom may straightened the lamp. 887 is probably the model number of the metal base. A patent number, either for the base or for the design, would be a longer number. Following is a Link to a sold Phoenix 887 lamp with the same design base, same shape font, but with in a different painted pattern. It has a floral tall chimney shape shade rather then the usual globe/ball shade on this style lamp. You say you have a tall chimney for it. Is it painted matching the font? If you have the original chimney shade, that is certainly a plus. This style parlor lamp are referred to as Gone with the Wind lamps because they were in that movie. To me that is a misnomer because they came into common use later than the Civil War.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-TONE-VINT...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

--- Susan

silverthwait likes this.
  6. northernridge

Thank you for checking in, Susan. The chimney is a plain clear glass one, so I very much doubt that it is original. I tightened the nut screw but it had no effect on the bent burner. I'm inclined to offer it "as is" for maybe $40.

One more question. You say it is post-Civil War. But is it nonetheless late 1800s?

Thank you again!

7. northernridge

Oh, the lamp in the link is really pretty!

8. Ladybranch

Yes, late 1800s to early 1900s. I don't think Phoenix Glass was founded until 1880 in Pennsylvania. I know very little about Phoenix glass nevermind their lamps. I thought they probably did the glass and the metal base made by another company? I was surprised to see their name on the metal base.

--- Susan

9. northernridge

I appreciate what you do know, Susan. Does $40 seem to you a fair price in this condition?

10. Ladybranch

Hmmm.... To be honest I really don't know for I don't sell. That messed up burner won't help the sale. It will probably distract from it. A new burner would certainly help. I have seen some without original shade sell for as low as the teens and some sell for nearly a hundred.

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  11. Ladybranch

Here is a #887 with a relatively new burner and only a chimney without a shade that sold for neatly a $100.00.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Phoenix-Glass-Works-Hand-Painted-Floral-Milk-Glass-11-5-t-Oil-Lamp-Base-/361234167655?hash=item541b3bf767:g:9BkAAOSwBLlU-Tng&nma=true&si=hxT3WUD5vmk%2FIuhHNWQyH5%2Fk8uc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's #948 without a shade that only sold for only $21.50.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-small-PHOENIX-no-938-glass-OIL-LAMP-w-BURNER-CHIMNEY-n13-/111881844271?hash=item1a0cad762f:g:J7AAAOSwqYBWoVad&nma=true&si=hxT3WUD5vmk%2FIuhHNWQyH5%2Fk8uc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

BTW, that chimney shaped shade on that lamp in the link I gave in a prevous message was not original to the lamp. Looking closely at it you can see the floral pattern is different as well as the colors.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted