Questions about long term storage

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by research, Feb 8, 2023.

1. research

research Member

I've recently started getting into collecting more ephemera. Mainly trade cards and similarly sized pieces, but almost some larger pieces.

As the amount grows, I'm struggling with how to properly and archival store them.

I was just curious what suggestions ephemera collectors have on long term storage. I can't seem to think of a convenient, safe way to protect them.

• I don't have access to flat files
    • Rigid protectors seem to trap moisture and cause more of a risk bending paper when inserting.
    • Stacking seems like it would cause damage to whatever was at the bottom
    • Storing in archival screen protectors (non rigid) in a binder cause paper to warp (learned this the hard way storing some photos like this upright in a binder)
    Appreciate any input or ideas!

Joan and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm no expert on this but there is plenty of Archival materials available online to purchase, as well as at some art stores, and then tutorials on how to do it properly....just Google exactly what you're looking for, then How to treat/handle it....and Best of Luck with it!!!!

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. research

research Member

Thanks. I'm aware of the products, and my collection is in archival sleeves, etc.

I'm concerned with how to physically store them once in the archival protectors.

What I'm struggling with is if I should just stack ephemera in a box, put it in a binder and risk bending, etc.

I've spent a lot of time researching this and there only seems to be recommendations on products, not methods for larger collections in long term storage.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I tend to use the plastic sleeves in a binder approach. There are some ways to stiffen the plastic pages... I mean, some of the products you can buy from some of the sources that @2manybooks linked. I don't stiffen the pages because almost all of the things I put in binders are card-mounted photographs such as cartes-de-visite or cabinet card photos.

However, you might prefer archival boxes. There are various types. Some allow pieces to lie flat, and others are more like small filing boxes. I have my postcard collection and also my stereoview collection in different filing boxes. Each of the prints is in a soft plastic sleeve. However, there are also archival paper sleeves that are available.

The Library of Congress has a long list of preservation specifications for different formats. Not sure if this will help you, but am including just in case.
    https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/specifications/index.html

I found several web pages that give preservation tips for ephemera. I have a feeling you have already looked at these sorts of tips. Here is one example, recently posted in a blog:
    https://discover.hubpages.com/games-hobbies/caring-for-ephemera

EDIT: I posted this before seeing your latest comment.

Aquitaine, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Figtree3

@Bookahtoo has collections of ephemera, I think.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, she does.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

Decisions about storage depend on your particular conditions, and how you want to use the collection. You say "long term storage", but will you be wanting convenient and frequent access? What kind of space is available for storage - do you plan to use shelves, or are stacked boxes the only option?

From your comments, it sounds like you may have trouble with fluctuating relative humidity -
    Do you have a space where you can use a dehumidifier? Drier is better for storage of paper items.

If you don't have good control of the storage environment, I would opt more for paper storage sleeves and boxes, rather than plastic. Paper products will have more of a "buffering" effect. The trade off is that the items will not be easily visible for browsing. You might want to create a catalog or index of some sort so you can easily find things in the future as the collection grows. A digital photograph of each item, arranged in a database would be an option if you are computer savvy.

The ideal storage for such items would be laying flat in a single layer, but this is usually not practical.

You might consider archival lidded boxes designed for the sizes of items you have - shoe box sort of boxes - with the items in individual paper sleeves, supported upright in the box. You can use stiffer archival cardboard at intervals as support, which could also serve as index aids. If there are not enough items to fill a box and keep things from sagging, you can make archival board supports that fit inside to occupy the excess space and hold the items upright - snug, but not tight. Stiffer items are more suitable for storing upright like this, but stiffer paper sleeves could be used to support more flexible items.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. research

research Member

Thank you for the input! Sorry for the delay, I wasn't notified there were responses.

I do tend to keep my ephemera in humidity controlled spaces (always below 50% humidity)

I wish there there archival boxes (from lineco, Gaylord, etc) that weren't so deep so there could be less weight on the pieces.

Would an archival plastic box (like the image below) be an option or would that trap too much moisture?

Do you have any recommendations on cheap acid free backing board to use in binders with sheet protectors?
    Thanks again

(it won't let me insert a photo, so here is a link to one of the products I was considering)

https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Inc...&sprefix=shallow+craft+box+iri,aps,84&sr=8-41

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Maybe... I'm not familiar with the plastic ones.

Have you looked at this company's products yet? (Get Smart Products) I've bought some things from them. Here is their page for acid-free storage boxes. They have lots of sizes:
    https://www.pfile.com/prod_detail_list/Acid-Free-Storage-Boxes-By-Size

They also have lots of pages and envelopes for storing flat items. I couldn't see the page stiffeners that I have seen somewhere before. They may be there, but maybe not. -- Oh, wait... this looks like what I was remembering.
    https://www.pfile.com/product/f-sb811p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Joan likes this.
  11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion for boxes that I use for my vintage jewelry collection, but might work for storing your ephemera collection. I started out with the first example but they were getting too expensive, so I made my own storage trays using a glue gun, foam board for the sides, and corrugated carboard for the bottoms lined with cotton flannel (you could use acid-free foam board instead of corrugated cardboard). They can be made any size to fit into different size shelves and cabinets. I numbered and labeled them, then made a spreadsheet so I can do word searches to quickly find things.

storage-a.jpg storage-2.jpg storage-c.jpg

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. research

research Member

Thanks so much! Some good ideas here on DIY too.

One more quick question.

If I used a non-acid free/archival box but lined it with archival material or put ephemera that was in archival sleeves in that box, is there any risk to long term storage?

13. 2manybooks

Yes. Acid can migrate from poor quality materials into and eventually through archival quality materials.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted