Questions about antique sleigh bells

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by cfh, Oct 19, 2024 at 4:13 PM.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

IMG_2151-compressed.jpeg IMG_2160-compressed.jpeg IMG_2155-compressed.jpeg IMG_2161-compressed.jpeg IMG_2154-compressed.jpeg IMG_2156-compressed.jpeg I bought these bells at an estate sale last week. I have been researching them a bit and have learned that they were made sometime between 1760’s and 1860’s. They were made in Connecticut by William or Hubbard Barton. Both use the WB mark. According to an article I read very few bells on the market are this old. The author of the article was speculating 1-2%.
    I have not yet found any bells with the same markings as mine that have been sold. I have a few questions about the bells for listing purposes (ebay). Bells that seem to sell for more have been polished.

Should I polish the bells?

Should I try to remove them from the deteriorating leather strap?

Do the broken bells have any value?

Thanks for any and all responses!!

Marote, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

JMHO....I would sell them just as they are. The old leather adds authenticity to them as does the unpolished state of the bells. Let the buyer decide what to do with them.

Marote, pearlsnblume, cfh and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, don't polish them nor fiddle with the strap. Leave them in their original condition. Doing otherwise won't increase their value. And, like anything, condition does matter.

Debora

Marote and cfh like this.