Featured Questionable Blue stone jewellery, please help!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Jun 25, 2024 at 3:59 PM.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Good evening,
    I would like to ask your opinion on the light blue stone which looks like a aquamarine to me, but when tested with the diamond tester (at least 10 times) it give diamond readings, the red lines goes all the way up on the tester, like it would do with diamonds. I have done alternate testing and the tester with glass does not react, with gemstone it goes up 2 lines, but with this blue stone went all the way up.
    Why is it so? Are they blue diamonds? Please let me know your opinions.
    The long brooch has a blue stone, but it does not look like a sapphire, looks more like a dark tanzanite, it is dark blue with purple hues. I have never seen tourmaline, please could you comment on possibilities.
    Furthermore, I have bought it as silver, but it does not test as silver, however it holds a bit on Platinum, but not all the way. It does not hold on 18 carat gold liquid.
    Finally, the last round brooch is for comparison reasons, I think is a gemstone, as the tester goes up one line, however I don’t know what gemstone. Any opinions would be much appreciated.
    Photos were taken in full evening natural light and the one with the necklace photo was taken inside the house.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry
    @Bronwen
    @Ownedbybear
    @kyratango
    @PepperAnna

29B955CC-FDAE-4B90-8B58-42B3EDF05625.jpeg 1F22F62B-4B41-44DB-B9FB-65B73649C7E4.jpeg 63D96C8E-9F11-4FDB-B67E-A2D0644DCD0D.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The knife edge pin looks like diamonds and a good sapphire. There are blue diamonds, but they're lighter and cost a small fortune. I'd check the gem tester just in case.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

If that big stone is a diamond, there's a comfortable retirement in your immediate future methinks!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They could be lab grown sapphires, which would test very high, although not up to diamond level. The metal work is poorly done. What is the mark at the top of the pendant? Think the stone in the brooch could be glass & still reach 1 bar. The composition of glass varies.

Dessert58, laura9797 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Make sure your tester is calibrated and being used correctly. The cheap ones are easy to skew and will give a diamond read on anything if not set right, I've found. They also react to metal, although these gems are large enough the setting shouldn't interfere I would think.

laura9797 and gauntlettgems like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Simona, I hope I get this right:
    You asked about the metal of the bar brooch, and the stones of the bar brooch and the pendant.
    You added the other brooch for comparison, but wonder about that stone too?

I must say, I find it very difficult very difficult to judge colour-sensitive stones and metals against those blue and pink backgrounds. Could you photograph them on something white please?

Dessert58 likes this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

moissanite will also test as a diamond and we have seen them dyed. I also heard of someone selling black diamonds cheap. Turns out that they were dyed or stained diamonds that had horrible flaws. Hope yours turn out to be the real deal. We have used both the Presidium and the Gempro. They can be difficult to calibrate.

mirana likes this.
  8. Simona Buhus

I will take some new photos and post again.
    Thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Simona Buhus

My diamond tester is one of the cheapest one, it does give correct readings for diamonds, that much I can see.
    @Bronwen has given a very good explanation about lab sapphires, this same tester I used to test a brooch and it read diamonds, but the maker of the brooch clearly stated sapphires, that was traceable information.
    I will post some more photos tonight, with the tester as well.
    Thank you

mirana, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  10. Simona Buhus

Here they are:
    C83A60D6-BE43-4D1A-B701-EFCAFE60C2FA.jpeg EAD037E4-D5F9-4E8C-ACC8-06052431F0A4.jpeg EDA49E19-776E-48F8-892C-C4DC5BDADF66.jpeg EDB23DC6-96B6-4D0E-99A4-D78A2F986BB0.jpeg D05D1B38-DBE8-4E2B-A86C-4F69BBCB520D.jpeg

mirana likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Have them checked by a good jeweler!

mirana likes this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Do you have a local jeweler you could take these to who might test with a presidum tester? That would help you solve the mystery.

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

On color alone, stones in the pendant could be blue topaz.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and mirana like this.
  14. evelyb30

That's what I thought too. I think the diamond tester may be set too "high".

15. Simona Buhus

This is the bar brooch scratch test, it holds to platinum for 30 seconds after which the liquid turns green. I can still see the scratch metal in stone, but not as clear after 30 seconds.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    B194E176-6F14-428F-9815-79D8A3ED2158.jpeg

16. Simona Buhus

I have a local shop, but when I took my necklace to test it, she looked at it and said: “Yes, it looks like 18 carat gold!”, without testing it, just by looking at it, lol, (there were no hallmarks on the necklace)…
    I do have a contact in Hatton Gardens, that I can trust, I will try to find the time to go there.
    Thank you so much.
    Xx

mirana likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.
    I have no idea. I only use the platinum testing acid to test platinum (or clean the testing stone).

mirana likes this.
  18. evelyb30

I never used it at all - never had any to test!

Draft saved Draft deleted