Question Regarding "Yellowstone Falls" Photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Doug Ketcher, Jul 4, 2024 at 11:26 AM.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Hello All, was wondering if I could get some insights into an old photo of Yellowstone Falls I found in a box of old photos. The photo (or card?) 6 inches (h) x 5 inches (w) and appears to have been glued onto a paper mat backing (11 x 9 inches). Below the photo on left is printed "Yellowstone Falls" and bottom right corner of the mat are the initials (I am guessing) "EEC" or "EEG". It looks almost like something from Ansel Adams. Have looked online and while I have found similar photos, I have not found anything exact and was just wondering what timeframe it may have come from. Thank You!
    YELLOWSTONE FALLS - 1.jpg
    YELLOWSTONE FALLS - 2.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a silver gelatin print ,wich should help date it. Id guess 1900.s give or take.

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I think that's an area named "Artists Point". You'll find lots of similar shots if you search those keywords.

4. Doug Ketcher

Cool! Great to know! Thanks Johnny!!

5. Doug Ketcher

Excellent! Thanks Kronos! I will check it out! :)

6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I agree with johnny. I would say it's near the time frame of 1905-1910. Here's a photo taken by my wife's family of the north entrance during an 1905 visit. It's also a silver gelatin photo.

GBL-A1-064.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 1:33 PM
    Figtree3, Doug Ketcher and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Doug Ketcher

Thats cool! Had never heard of that type of photography (silver gelatin photo) before! It's really neat looking and has an interesting sheen about it... almost as if it is colorized! Glad I asked you smart people about it and am going to research a little more about it! Thanks!!! :)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Gelatin silver prints were the most common type of photograph throughout the 20th century, only being superseded by the advent of digital photography. The shiny areas on your photograph are evidence of a typical type of deterioration referred to as silver-mirroring. It is caused by the migration of silver ions to the surface of the print, where they form a reflective layer.

You can read more about the history and deterioration of gelatin silver prints here -
    https://gawainweaver.com/images/uploads/Weaver_Guide_to_Gelatin_Silver.pdf

9. Doug Ketcher

COOL! Will check it out!! :)

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted