Question about These Silverplate Ice Cream Forks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I picked up 5 of these today in a chest of misc. silver-plate. I figured out that the pattern is called Cedric from 1905-06. After checking all of my databases, I couldn't find any that have sold. Does anyone have Worthpoint who wouldn't mind checking. TY!

(P.S. Was also surprised to see a piece of plate that was gold washed.)

DSCF4404.jpg DSCF4405.jpg DSCF4406.jpg DSCF4407.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

pretty. I couldn't find a Rogers Cedric match on priceminer. Did a general search for Rogers ice cream which showed one ice cream fork sells between $4.00-$25. The range reflects condition and popularity of pattern. Generally, though I find ice cream forks sell fairly well.

3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Cool. Ice cream forks...who knew

I'm a troglodyte, I just use a spoon.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Back when I was collecting on eBay (8-10 yrs ago), ice cream forks were a good buy at $10 each if in decent shape and from a quality maker. But you had to be careful to avoid the "after market production" where another piece was altered to look like an ice cream fork. I think yours are fine - particularly with the gilding both top and underside which the after market guys never did - but when looking at comparable sales, it's something to be aware of.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, everyone! This pattern appears to be just moderately collected and sold, but with ice cream forks, who knows? They may be the one item a specific collector doesn't have and would like to have. I was just surprised when a sweep of the www didn't turn up any at all. I need to know if I can safely put the word RARE! in my eBay listing, LOL!! *just kidding*

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Me too! I just bought myself an ice cream maker as a Christmas present to me. The ice cream is so good, and I can make just enough for us.

7. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Ola,

I have an ice cream maker as well. I made some Avocado ice cream once that was soooooo creamy.

Are those spoons for the consuming of ice cream? or does one merely use them as a serving spoon?

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

They are only 5" long so they are for individual use, not serving. They still seem a little awkward to me. How would you get all the slurpiness out of the bottom of the bowl? Maybe antique ice cream was different.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They have found favor as the plastic "sporks". My nephews thought they were a new invention. :eek:
    greg

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Love your ice cream forks, but the theory behind them has always puzzled me -- as does the ice cream knife. Back in the day, I know one had to have specific pieces for specific foods and beverages. However, anything which separates me from even ONE drop of Dulce de Leche is doomed at my table!

desperate_fun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted