Question about these paper mache horses i found online

Discussion in 'Art' started by Antique seeker, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Antique seeker

Antique seeker New Member

Hi i am new here but am seeking advice. I found these beautiful set of hand painted horses, i once seen one of these on display in a pennsylvania tradeshow but they were asking over $200! for the one! It looked very similar to these, i just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about these? I am considering bidding on these since its so low compared to what i saw before.

this is the link on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281630026330?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

please share your thoughts and any info you may have!

Thank you kindly

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hmm. Using the link gets a "listing has been removed" message?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

They are cute. Don't know anything about value, but look closely at the smaller one. Looks like the chain and axle may have been replaced/repaired? good luck if you go for them!

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

All I know is that these painted carts are from Sicily. Supposedly the tradition of the painted carts dates back to the early Greek settlers on the island. It is a long-standing folk art with slightly different styles being made in each province, and the carts are popular souvenir items from there.

There are similar painted carts from Costa Rica, but the wheels on those are generally solid, without spokes, and they are usually pulled by oxen rather than horses.

No idea about prices. Not too many of these show up on the market. But I would say, based on the colored feathers, type of trim used, and the chain, that these are not truly "antique." Mid-20th Century or newer would be my guess.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I saw similar on sale in Palermo last year. That one does look a little older and is nicely made.

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I've had mine since the NY World's Fair in 1964/65. As you can see, he's a bit the worse for wear (badly repaired broken legs, etc) but I loved the little guy so much that I took him to school a few times & played with him more than I should have.

(When I was little, my mom took us to the World's Fair about a dozen times. Each time, we were allowed to buy one thing apiece - it had to be something made in another country and NOT a "cheap souvenir". I still have every single one of mine.)

DSC03436.JPG

trip98 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you went to the WF in 64/65, do you follow the New York World's Fair page on Facebook? If not, check it out. They'd love to see your collection.

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bev. I just took a look at the sight - it looks like fun!

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted