Question about Scottish dining table.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by nickytcom, Feb 21, 2016.

?

What would something like this be worth in the Dallas Fort Worth area?

1. $200

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. $550

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nickytcom

nickytcom New Member

I'm told this is a Scottish farm table from the late 1800's. Does anyone know much about this type of table? The type of wood? Pine or Oak? What would a table like this be worth in Dallas / Fort Worth area. The chairs seem to be ladder back with a rush seat. Any discussion is appreciated.

IMG_4664.jpg IMG_4665.jpg IMG_4668.jpg IMG_4667.jpg IMG_4666.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My first thought is that theres little wear on the stretchers . Something says later to me ,maybe 20s-30s ? Its lovely you have matching chairs , and all seem to be in good condition . Oak set like this would go for $3-500 here in n. fla .

nickytcom likes this.
  3. nickytcom

nickytcom New Member

Thank you for your reply. Duly noted and your comment is appreciated.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome to the Forums, Nicky!
    Lots of furniture brainiacs here. Good luck!

nickytcom likes this.
  5. nickytcom

nickytcom New Member

LOL Muchas gracias GaleriaGila!

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums! I like the Y stretcher format that allows for easy seating and the turnings of the legs. I haven't seen this type of turning before. I don't have a good guess as to the age or country of origin. Do wait for Brad's opinion on age and style and the opinions of Britishers (English) and Scots that frequent the forums.

--- Susan

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    nickytcom likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Those are the same chairs my folks had in their country house.

the way the front legs rise above the seat......always hurt my thighs......

nickytcom likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is oak and I would think more like circa 1930. Not a farm table but a manufactured piece based on earlier Jacobean designs. It is of a type that usually has a draw leaf at each end. Obviously, this one does not. I think I see a split in the center. Does this expand? If so, how?

The chairs really don't go with the table stylistically and are probably newer than the table. They are more of a Shaker style ladderback. They do not seem to be oak but I can't tell what they are from these pics.

nickytcom and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The chairs look like the Ethan Allen chairs I sold a couple of years ago.

nickytcom likes this.
  10. nickytcom

nickytcom New Member

Thank you Brad for your comment. I've attached a few more photos in the hopes it might answer your questions about the draw leaf section. The latch for expanding seems to of not been touched in decades. I probably can work on opening it up with a little more effort. Do any of these photos help you?

IMG_4670.jpg IMG_4671.jpg IMG_4669.jpg

Attached Files:

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a standard telescoping slide for the top extension. The problem with it is that as soon as you separate the two halves very far, the slide supports will hit the inside of the skirt. I don't see how it could open up far enough to get a leaf in there. Unless I am missing something, I don't think this is the original top for this table. Typically, a top with slides like this would require that the entire table also pull apart. The cross stretcher at the bottom shows that this is not the case with this table.

12. nickytcom

nickytcom New Member

Wow very interesting feedback. So much to learn and I appreciate your knowledge. I will post more as I learn more.

Draft saved Draft deleted