Question about Music Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by zongda, Jan 25, 2015.

1. zongda

zongda New Member

Hey everyone,

I recently got ahold of a music box, and was wondering how much it's worth/how old it is. It doesn't look too old, but I wanted to check just in case.
    I was planning on removing the movement and using it in my own custom box, so my question is:

Does anyone know how much the box itself is worth, the movement, and both combined? Did the movement originally come in that box or was it mounted in that box at a later date?

My observations of the box/movement:
    -it plays Music of the Night, which is referenced as #6231
    manufactured by Reuge
    -18 notes
    -there is a crude on/off mechanism triggered by opening the glass lid of the box, but it does not work so the music box will play when its wound, -regardless of the state of the lid
    -the box seems to be made of brass? its a bit corroded in places, but the designs are nice.
    -the flap covering the music mechanism is made of cardboard covered in felt

Anyways, if anyone can offer some insight into the box's origins and its value (and advice as to whether or not I should remove the movement for my own use), please let me know!

Thanks!

IMG_20150125_173802.jpg IMG_20150125_173808.jpg IMG_20150125_173750.jpg IMG_20150125_173732.jpg IMG_20150125_173723.jpg IMG_20150125_173715.jpg IMG_20150125_173705.jpg IMG_20150125_173652.jpg IMG_20150125_173642.jpg IMG_20150125_173633.jpg
    http://imgur.com/juSaFIk,DuysBsC,bwSflBm,nXtD5zX,lJngAaj,DJoSZTK,742Ci6x,Bbv42bu,fnKJZRx,KMsNOg9
    IMG_20150125_173802.jpg IMG_20150125_173808.jpg IMG_20150125_173750.jpg IMG_20150125_173732.jpg IMG_20150125_173723.jpg IMG_20150125_173715.jpg IMG_20150125_173705.jpg IMG_20150125_173652.jpg IMG_20150125_173642.jpg IMG_20150125_173633.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, zongda.

Not an expert on such things, but my humble opinion is that the box and musical mechanism are contemporary to each other and therefore no older than 1986 when the Phantom of the Opera was first shown.

An inexpensive box to begin with - because of the way cardboard was used inside and the breakdown of the crude on/off mechanism.

I was wondering whether it was "homemade" by the insertion of the music player into a slightly older box until I saw the underside and its sticker. A very 80's item I'm afraid or possibly even newer since that song became a classic.

zongda likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What you have is a Jewelry Casket Music Box.

These filigree type caskets (without music box) were first popular in the 1960s.

Reuge is a well known name that sells at a higher price.

I wouldn't destroy the box just for the music box.
    You can buy new replacement music box inserts.
    There is a store here in town that sells them.

zongda likes this.
  4. zongda

zongda New Member

Thanks for the insight! I had actually never made the connection that the Phantom of the Opera must predate the music box (which was silly of me, now that I think about it).

I wasn't planning on destroying the box; only separating the movement from the box for my own use. The issue is that it's really hard to buy a separate movement without the box (as antique stores rarely have separate movements for sale). Would you have any suggestions as to where to acquire them, and the price of an identical movement? I was aware that Reuge is somewhat well-known, but it seems there aren't very many of them where I live.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I don't think you will hurt the value of the box by removing the mechanism as long as you put it back to some semblance of being usable and presentable in appearance. Neither has much value so it is probably as good a box as any to cannibalize for your own purposes. It is the kind of box I would price somewhere under $20.00, with or without the music box feature.

Edit: Above is in response to bakersgma.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    zongda likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This store is in the town next to where I have my shop.
    I have bought replacement boxes from her. Although it has been a couple of years.

There is an 800 number. Call tomorrow (California time) and ask if she still sells the replacements and what tunes she has.

http://www.themusicboxcompany.com/

I would price the complete jewelry box, before you take the music box out, at $30 - 35 retail in my B&M.

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Zongda, Welcome aboard. I like your "delivery" of a question for a board. It was almost a "power-point" but with the addition of nuances which can be very helpful.

Your "bolded" statement ("My observations of the box/movement") with a list, not a paragraph, was a joy to see in the initial question to the board.

One little "quirk" though -- it probably doesn't matter on this "music box" but . . . hope you get into the habit of "first things first" -- as in size/dimensions of an item in question. ;)

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If someone mentioned this already, apologies for a repeat. I often see these metal/glass boxes referred to as (vintage) "Ormolu".

I think replacing the movement will negate any of the value related to Reuge, unless you use a Reuge movement. (And not even sure what the value would have been even in perfect working order for a 1986 or later Reuge piece like this...)

You mention some of the metal is "a bit corroded in spots". This will impact value over and above concern about the broken music box. These are such decorative pieces, damage like that is kind of a deal breaker for value unless the corrosion is extremely minor. I didn't notice much corrosion in you photos, so maybe it is quite minor.

Best of luck with it, and welcome to the Antiquers board.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  10. zongda

zongda New Member

Thanks for the input and the warm welcome!

I think the main difficulty is finding a replacement Reuge movement for a reasonable price; most of the online stores sell the Sankyo movements or a lower-quality brand.

So assuming I remove the movement for my own use, what should I do with the box afterwards? Does it have any value/is it worth cleaning up?

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think without a working original movement the case (w/corrosion mentioned) wouldn't have much value, but I don't know Reuge collectors. If it was me, I'd probably just donate the case, but up to you. Good luck!

zongda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted