question about Currier and Ives: Gold Mining in Alaska

Discussion in 'Art' started by sunday silence, Jan 28, 2023.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

this is said to be one of the most popular of the smaller sized prints. the first photo shows the lower corner of one from worth pt. that sold for about $1000. The second one is the same size (about 8x13" image size) and is said to be old but didnt get anywhere near that much. If you look at the rocks in the corner you can see that they are cut off unlike the first one. Also the address on Nassau ave. is not shown in the second one. SO what is going on? Were these later restrikes deliberately made to identify them as restrikes? Also is the lack of an address a clear giveaway that its a restrike?

original-currier-ives-gold-mining_1_45e2e88518d7870c601ca095eb2453ba.jpg gold_1674333283494.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am wondering if they were resized depending on their use ie. advertising , book illustration, calendars...

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

California, not Alaska. ;)

Figtree3, komokwa and Debora like this.
  4. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

that makes sense. I thought these were the same size but I did not study the measurements that close. Plus not everybody measures it exactly the same way

5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I used to have a large book that had reproductions of the originals. I think the second image is an interpretation of the original, I can see several differences. Whenever I go out antiquing I see Currier and Ives prints of varying quality. When you see a true original you know right away, the colors are very vivid.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

You are so right on the color. We inherited a few battle scenes from my mother and they are obviously original seen across the room.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted