Question about 1965 oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Morg, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Morg

Morg New Member

Hello Antiquers,

I have a bit of a mystery painting I am trying to find information about, but having a bit of trouble. There seem to be some errors on the back of the canvas - for example the name “Henry Grohskopf” is given, but I think this is a miss spelling of “Grosskopf” - or it’s completely wrong altogether. It states “Wien 23 Inzersdorf”, which I assume is either where it was painted or purchased and then “Zum Geburtstag” - “for your birthday”

I’ve tried multiple artist databases to search for the signature and the artist name with no luck and thought I’d try my luck here - any ideas? I’d really appreciate it, it’s a beautiful piece! 67C7ECD8-5816-4B35-9FA8-E2CB67804D32.jpeg E5C33572-810A-4020-AD68-8363370405DD.jpeg 63C6FC48-EEEE-440C-97D7-B29B4271D182.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The name on the backing doesn't seem to look at all like what is painted in front.

Morg likes this.
  3. Morg

Morg New Member

That was my thought as well. I do think “Henry” looks correct, but I get the impression this was purchased by someone as a gift and they wrote the message on the back. The address in Vienna could be where they bought it. There’s no Henry “Grosskopf” or “Großkopf” I can find in any database - nor any other combination of H——— Grosskopf. The phonetic spelling error “Grohskopf” also really makes me think this was written by a non-native German speaker.

The closest signature I’ve found belongs to David Eugene Henry, but the style is off. The H is similar, but the E in his signature is capitalized.

Im at a loss!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see your post, because I have a very similar painting my parents purchased in the 1970's. I've always considered a bit of a motel painting. I did a little research last year on it and concluded it was a German or Austrian painter of little note. I may be able to re-find what I found. Does it look like the same artist to you?
    IMG_20220613_193609.jpg IMG_20220613_193614.jpg IMG_20220613_193603.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Bakersgma and Morg like this.
  5. Morg

Morg New Member

Hello - wow, this does look to be a remarkably similar style. The only difference I can tell is the signature has some slight differences (the H is swiped left to right, rather than right to left), which seems minor, but I think that’s actually a pretty large difference. Otherwise I really think it’s quite similar.

6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Morg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted