Featured Quarter Sawn Oak Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DrJCH, Jan 2, 2024.

1. DrJCH

DrJCH New Member

Hello! I saw this forum and it looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly members. I've had this oak table for several years now. It was purchased from a local antiques dealer here in Salt Lake City, unfortunately all the paperwork became lost by the previous owner during a move. I have scoured the internet for examples of similar tables with the same style of legs to give me some clues as to its origin. No luck, but an individual on another forum said he has a similar table, and his paperwork dates his piece to 1797-1830. The dimensions are 54" and 29" tall. With all center leaves in (lost) it would be 121" long. There are no identifying marks anywhere on the table that I can find except what appears to be "32" stamped in the wood on top of the center support. Any ideas as to age and place of manufacture? Table 2.jpeg Table 3.jpeg Table 4.jpeg Table 5.jpg Table 6.jpg Table 7.jpg

judy, cxgirl, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but your pedestal table looks newer to me than the chairs. Its a lovely table,but i do think 1960s-70s. The thinness of the wood,the size of the boards,the color of the wood underside all just say newer. Do wait for others,Im just an amateur.

judy, sabre123, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice table...better chairs...!!
    those thin boards say newer to me too....but luv the metal release device.....which looks older.....
    so, I'm confused :confused::confused::confused::playful:

@verybrad
    @Ghopper1924
    @Roaring20s

judy, sabre123, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Nice grain patterns - too bad somebody went overboard on the clear urethane applications.

judy, sabre123, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The beautiful quarter sawn oak says early 20th Century; otherwise, it appears to be much later. Definitely not late 18th-early 19th Century. The chairs look to be 1930s-50s.

judy, DrJCH, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Partial base replacement ?

judy, Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. komokwa

too bad about the centre leaves......that's a selling point !!

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great table, gorgeous wood too.
    Overhere it would be regarded as Amsterdam School, which is roughly 1916-1930s. It was a Dutch architectural and design transition from Arts & Crafts to Art Deco.

Given the AS look, is it possible that the table is American Arts & Crafts, maybe Mission Style?
    Ditto.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    judy, johnnycb09 and DrJCH like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yep-looks like Arts & Crafts that was stripped to the bone and polyurethaned to the max.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep... Arts and Crafts or Mission style as designated here in the US. Probably no earlier than 1905 and possibly as late as 1930. Chairs are known as T-backs and are from roughly the same time period (More teens-20s).

11. DrJCH

DrJCH New Member

Thanks for all the great replies and info! I too asked about the excessive (shellac) finish. Prior to that, the table had a large, circular black (burn) spot from someone putting a hot pot on top. There was also a square water/burn spot hence the stripped to the bone "restoration".

After further sleuthing, I finally came across images with the same pedestal/feet pattern as my piece. (sorry for the links, didn't want to repost a pic that wasn't mine).

All three links indicate Stickley, but I suppose without proper documentation, I will never know. What are the chances of someone making a "knock off"?

https://images.app.goo.gl/tnNnaF1UT9Gxzte27

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://store.buckscountyestatetraders.com/cdn/shop/products/3a7c1e582e4bba43bdcd143e9de45227_800x.jpg?v=1693564462&tbnid=ESZ6Sg0TgYPm_M&vet=12ahUKEwjE7o2L2sGDAxW8AEQIHYfNDwwQMygCegQIARA6..i&imgrefurl=https://store.buckscountyestatetraders.com/products/stickley-brothers-antique-mission-oak-54-inch-expandable-dining-table&docid=QQJw4KEtMHehuM&w=800&h=533&itg=1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjE7o2L2sGDAxW8AEQIHYfNDwwQMygCegQIARA6

http://www.voorheescraftsman.com/product/487/Exceptional Stickley Brothers Dining Table with Four Leaves Uncommon Form.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    judy, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. verybrad

Sure looks like the Stickley Brothers table (Stickley Brothers is different than Stickley). Assuming no differences from the documented examples, I think it is safe to attribute. It is unusual enough that I doubt it was reproduced by anyone exactly.

Your shiny finish is off-putting and not appropriate for this table. It can be dampened by going over it with fine steel wool or a Scotch-brite finishing pad. Once the shine is cut, a coat of paste wax will protect and deepen the finish.

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

There you have it ! Id have never thought Stickley.

judy likes this.
  14. DrJCH

DrJCH New Member

Completely agree! I thought about taking some 0000 steel wool to it. Thanks for the paste wax suggestion!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. DrJCH

DrJCH New Member

Hi verybrad,
    I went over the table pretty good with 0000 steel wool, then applied a coat of hard wax as suggested. Wondered what you thought of the results. Better?

Attached Files:

16. komokwa

yup......:)

judy and DrJCH like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks wonderful!!!!

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, so much more natural, no more plastic table top.;)

19. verybrad

Hard to tell from a head on shot. If you are pleased with the results, that is all that matters.

judy likes this.
  20. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Your Arts & Crafts table is gorgeous!

This listing for a Stickley table shows the metal hardware.

https://www.bargainjohn.com/product/dining-table-12/

I haven’t been able to find an exemplar with a base similar to yours.

We have some Stickley furniture (belonged to my husband’s great grandmother, who brought it out from New York). The pieces we have are marked, but we don’t have a dining table, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted