Featured Qianlong bowl? Mark seems right.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jsnggltt, Mar 29, 2019.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Found this lovely piece today in a local second hand shop. The mark looks to be Qianlong but Chinese porcelain is not my strongest suit. While I'm 80% confident I'm reading the mark correctly I would love to a more educated opinion.

IMG_0203.jpg IMG_E0250.JPG IMG_0247.jpg If I'm correct I would very much appreciate some guidance in how to determine if this a 19c replica or an authentic Qianlong piece.

Cheers,

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and that's why i stay away from most pottery.......... beats me !

i need help and jsnggltt like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The famille rose palette with figures carrying a peach is common motif. The Chinese are fantastic at making newer pieces old. At least there are a couple of firing holes/pops. Yours seems to have more age but I am probably wrong LOL!!! Have you put a blacklight on it to see if those enamels glow a bit?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a very nice 20th century bowl with an apocryphal Qianlong mark.
    Maybe @lpan9 or @JayBee can be more precise regarding the date.

6. jsnggltt

I was unaware of that test. I’ll give it a try, thanks!

judy, i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The painting is pretty good on that one. Nice. Yes

judy, i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I don't really know what it is meant to prove, I just know that some colours on both 20th century and antique porcelain fluoresce or glow.

judy, i need help and aaroncab like this.
  9. jsnggltt

I found this information on thesprucecrafts.com:

“Hard paste porcelain should fluoresce a deep blue or purple color, while soft paste will glow white. But before buying or selling a nice piece of porcelain, always take it into a darkened room with either a handheld or keychain black light to test for repairs.

A good repair job might not be readily visible without assistance but will become obvious under a black light since glue used in repairs will fluoresce. Modern paints will glow under the black light as well, so you can also detect touch-ups, repaints, and embellishments with ultraviolet light.”

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is all I know as well, but I got the impression Laura meant you could date it by checking the kind of fluorescence of the enamels. Maybe she'll be back and tell us?

judy and jsnggltt like this.
  11. jsnggltt

So, I got a blacklight: no glow off the enamels and no repairs to be seen. Not sure what that is supposed to tell me though.

Would it be better to post this thread in Pottery, Glass and Porcelain or am I ok where it's at?

judy likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Along with the note "On later Qianlong copies the seal mark in red enamel is something of a favorite" the mark is on Gothenburg,here : https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/qingmarks.shtml

I couldn't find the mark on the 20th century page, but I didn't spend much time on it. There is probably more info to be found on Gothenburg, but I gave up trying to sort Chinese porcelain several years ago (turns out, I have zero talent for it).

13. jsnggltt

Thanks Jivvy, I read the info on Gotheborg (and a few others).

I was even able to identify a semi dyslexic signature on an eBay piece (listed for $21,000 by a seemingly legitimate dealer) using what I learned.

I don’t believe my bowl is authentic (though the signature is correct) but I’m much more a researcher than a collector and I’d like to solidly confirm my suspicion if I can.

Do you think I should repost in “Pottery Glass and Porcelain”?

judy likes this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I wouldn't repost. You've got @Any Jewelry here and she's tagged others who know about dating this stuff, so, you're covered.

But maybe @daveydempsey can move it to the right category. :)

15. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

What you need to do is contact Sothebys. Just sold a Chinese bowl....they will tell you.

16. jsnggltt

Thanks Kraftblue, I'll give that a go

and thanks @daveydempsey for moving the thread for me!

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  17. jsnggltt

I found this on the Sothebys site:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.31.35 AM.png
    Looks to be from the same production as mine. Some of the detail (grass, knots in tree, fence color are different) but the size, shape and colors used are the same.

Sent an email (hopefully to the correct person) about possibly auctioning them together. I'll update this thread as I have more information.

Thank you everyone for the help : )

kyratango, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted